Patchouli Essential Oil doesn't smell like I thought it would?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapgeek

Reaction score
Hi all!

I opened my first bottle of patchouli essential oil just now, and it doesn't smell like I thought it would!

I thought it would smell like the hippy patchouli oil that I remember, that people wore on their demin jackets in the early 80s...

Should patchouli eo smell like that, or have I got a faulty batch? I've never bought patchouli eo before... To me, this doesn't smell strong or overpowering, just a bit 'damp' smelling, maybe a hint of sweetness...

I feel a bit disappointed 😞

I use the same Patchouli and it is definitely the same as I remember from the 60's and the same my daughter wore in the 90's. You want the Dark Indonesian, and if you can find Aged Dark Indonesian Patchouli it is even better.

Honestly, it really depends on the specifics of the patchouli. Where is was harvested, how the oil was processed, when it was harvested. Like any plant derived source, there's a bunch of variables that will effect (affect? I never get that right) it's final smell. Aging makes a difference too.
I may be new to soaping but not to fragrance and perfumes. LOL. Out of several hundred oil based perfumes (and over 100 fragrance and essential oils) I've got several dozen scents with patchouli in them, and the quality of it is different in every single one.

You may want to take note of the supplier and details of that particular bottle. I'd recommend trying a few different types from different sources and suppliers to see the difference if you can.

Latest posts

Back