Patchouli Blend Ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straight up Patchouli it must be for patchouli lovers, of which I am one. I will tolerate a blend with sweet orange, but prefer it straight up. You may have to buy a gas mask? ;)

Just a little story about "straight up Patchouli." For years I would have the question (occasionally) from customers, "Don't you have a plain Patchouli?" I love Patchouli but not plain. Finally I gave in and made "plain Patchouli." I actually considered calling it "Plain Patchouli!" Well it sat around and sat around, I don't know where everybody went but I had very few buyers. So now I'm back to Patchouli blends and they fly. I guess everyone gave up on me.

Just a little story about "straight up Patchouli." For years I would have the question (occasionally) from customers, "Don't you have a plain Patchouli?" I love Patchouli but not plain. Finally I gave in and made "plain Patchouli." I actually considered calling it "Plain Patchouli!" Well it sat around and sat around, I don't know where everybody went but I had very few buyers. So now I'm back to Patchouli blends and they fly. I guess everyone gave up on me.
It's weird how that happens though. You make a repeat batch of something that everyone loves, but the second batch never sells!

Or maybe the straight up patch they loved was actually a blend and they didn’t know it. Real patch is pretty pricey so I could envision a manufacturer stretching it out with another EO/FO but just calling the resulting product Patchouli. I have seen some of the stuff supposedly with Patchouli on line (Amazon) and in stores (Walmart, BB& Beyond) for example and the low prices or scents tell me they can’t have much or any real Patchouli.

Or maybe the straight up patch they loved was actually a blend and they didn’t know it. Real patch is pretty pricey so I could envision a manufacturer stretching it out with another EO/FO but just calling the resulting product Patchouli. I have seen some of the stuff supposedly with Patchouli on line (Amazon) and in stores (Walmart, BB& Beyond) for example and the low prices or scents tell me they can’t have much or any real Patchouli.

That doesn't apply to me. I use Patchouli essential oil in my bars and I charge the same price as any other soap. I figure on some I make more, some I make less. They're all the same price.

I just did a mix of patchouli and rosewood (10g patchouli 15g rosewood, for a kilo of oils, so not that strong) and it’s quite nice. My wife and kids all love it, but my wife generally hates straight patchouli. I agree with commenters above on mixes with sandalwood, lavender and orange also.

I’ve never actually had anyone ask for patchouli specifically, but I live in Holland, and it may just be not as well known here (although there is a popular brand of shower gel that does straight patchouli).

Sharon,
Can I ask what ginger you use in your blend? I think it sounds wonderful but I haven't been especially fond of the ginger type fragrances I have purchased in the last few years.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a good patchouli fragrance oil. I have never tested one.

I stick with dark patchouli essential oil. I purchase from New Directions Aromatics but there are others that have good ones. I like the dark patchouli much better than the light. The big drawback - cost.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a good patchouli fragrance oil. I have never tested one.

I stick with dark patchouli essential oil. I purchase from New Directions Aromatics but there are others that have good ones. I like the dark patchouli much better than the light. The big drawback - cost.

Exactly! But I spend it anyway! What's the pleasure of making something you don't like the smell of?

Sharon,
Can I ask what ginger you use in your blend? I think it sounds wonderful but I haven't been especially fond of the ginger type fragrances I have purchased in the last few years.
Not Sharon, but this has just given me the idea of mixing my beloved Orange-Ginger from NDA with patch--if both orange and ginger separately go with patch, the combo is bound to be fantastic!!
Oh my, SO MANY SOAPS to make.....I still have 3 Christmas ones which are prepped and must get done before anything "new".

Not Sharon, but this has just given me the idea of mixing my beloved Orange-Ginger from NDA with patch--if both orange and ginger separately go with patch, the combo is bound to be fantastic!!
Oh my, SO MANY SOAPS to make.....I still have 3 Christmas ones which are prepped and must get done before anything "new".
But I'm not sure it would go with Lilac. Just Orange Ginger Patch

Latest posts

Back