Patchouli Blend Ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
I hate patchouli with a passion. I bought some after reading lots of blends with it and wanted to try them but none of them smell good to me. However, I've had many customers ask for a patchouli soap and I'm finally biting the bullet and planning to make one.

So I'm asking you guys. When customers ask for a patchouli soap, what do they usually go for? Straight patchouli? A blend? What type of blend? Blend ratios would be preferred because I can't stand the stuff and don't want to have to keep smelling it to see what I'd more tolerable, but I am not asking for anyone's trade secret blends as I understand wanting to keep them secret. I've got a few of those myself :)

Thank y'all so much!

My customers that want patchouli soap want straight up patchouli. They also want it quite strong. LOL, since you sell you don't have to like it! I also find dark aged patchouli to be the best, but if you cannot find or afford dark aged go for dark patch. Patchouli lovers usually like it straight and many times wear it neat. Patch is a love it or hate it scent.

Thanks! I definitely don't have to love it to sell it, but I do have to smell it! Lol I have no way of locking it away to cure as my shelving is in a cubby hole with no door.

I happen to love patchouli so don't mind working with it. But Carolyn's right ~ it's a love it or hate it type scent. When I blend it I like it with orange and lavender. I've also used ylang ylang and sandalwood. Florals blend well too. I made a gardenia patch recently that was requested by an older lady friend of my mom's. My favorite is equal parts patch, 10x orange and lavender.

If you use straight patch and hate it, just plan to cure it where you won't smell it every time you get near by, lol.:p

Last edited:
Thanks! I definitely don't have to love it to sell it, but I do have to smell it! Lol I have no way of locking it away to cure as my shelving is in a cubby hole with no door.

A garden shed perhaps? Or a nice neighbor that likes the scent, lol?

Completely off topic but I've been following along on your blog. Nice job and very inspiring! Keep up the great work!:thumbup: (love the buzzards, btw, hehehe)

I think the quality of the patchouli really helps - I'm not a huge fan, but I adore the dark patch I got from SMR. Hubby likes it straight, I like it with 40% patch and 60% citrus blend, and I think it will be a nice base note in other blends.

A garden shed perhaps? Or a nice neighbor that likes the scent, lol?

Completely off topic but I've been following along on your blog. Nice job and very inspiring! Keep up the great work!:thumbup: (love the buzzards, btw, hehehe)

Thank you :) I find it helps keep me a little more accountable

Thank you every one! I think I may make a straight patch soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have made a patchouli and pine blend. It is more of a manly scent though but every man likes that has bought it loves the scent.

My favorite patch blend so far has been 50:50 patch to sandalwood fo.

I've also blended with lavender and rosemary which was nice to but didn't emphasize the patch enough, I thought, for those serious patch lovers.

Anyone ever blended patch vanilla? One gentleman in particular mentioned this, but said as long as it had patch in it he was happy

I personally have had a hard time finding a good vanilla so that would be difficult for me. If you have a nice vanilla though that would probably be a good mix.

I like Mint:patchouli at 4:1 ratio. People who like patchouli will buy it (unfortunately there are very few hippies in my ultra conservative area). I like a straight up Patchouli bar (Shunt's is still the best I've had). Although I am intrigued by sandalwood/Patch and vanilla/Patch combinations.

People keep asking me for patchouli too. The only way I can stand it is to mix with orange. I use essential oils, so eventually the orange will fade, but the patchouli remains strong. No one minds that it is mixed with orange.

Latest posts

Back