Patchouli Blend Ideas

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

soapmaker

Soapmaker
Reaction score
Straight up Patchouli it must be for patchouli lovers, of which I am one. I will tolerate a blend with sweet orange, but prefer it straight up. You may have to buy a gas mask? ;)
Just a little story about "straight up Patchouli." For years I would have the question (occasionally) from customers, "Don't you have a plain Patchouli?" I love Patchouli but not plain. Finally I gave in and made "plain Patchouli." I actually considered calling it "Plain Patchouli!" Well it sat around and sat around, I don't know where everybody went but I had very few buyers. So now I'm back to Patchouli blends and they fly. I guess everyone gave up on me.

KiwiMoose

Reaction score
Just a little story about "straight up Patchouli." For years I would have the question (occasionally) from customers, "Don't you have a plain Patchouli?" I love Patchouli but not plain. Finally I gave in and made "plain Patchouli." I actually considered calling it "Plain Patchouli!" Well it sat around and sat around, I don't know where everybody went but I had very few buyers. So now I'm back to Patchouli blends and they fly. I guess everyone gave up on me.
It's weird how that happens though. You make a repeat batch of something that everyone loves, but the second batch never sells!

Kari Howie

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Or maybe the straight up patch they loved was actually a blend and they didn’t know it. Real patch is pretty pricey so I could envision a manufacturer stretching it out with another EO/FO but just calling the resulting product Patchouli. I have seen some of the stuff supposedly with Patchouli on line (Amazon) and in stores (Walmart, BB& Beyond) for example and the low prices or scents tell me they can’t have much or any real Patchouli.

soapmaker

Soapmaker
Reaction score
Or maybe the straight up patch they loved was actually a blend and they didn’t know it. Real patch is pretty pricey so I could envision a manufacturer stretching it out with another EO/FO but just calling the resulting product Patchouli. I have seen some of the stuff supposedly with Patchouli on line (Amazon) and in stores (Walmart, BB& Beyond) for example and the low prices or scents tell me they can’t have much or any real Patchouli.
That doesn't apply to me. I use Patchouli essential oil in my bars and I charge the same price as any other soap. I figure on some I make more, some I make less. They're all the same price.

Cereal

Reaction score
I just did a mix of patchouli and rosewood (10g patchouli 15g rosewood, for a kilo of oils, so not that strong) and it’s quite nice. My wife and kids all love it, but my wife generally hates straight patchouli. I agree with commenters above on mixes with sandalwood, lavender and orange also.

I’ve never actually had anyone ask for patchouli specifically, but I live in Holland, and it may just be not as well known here (although there is a popular brand of shower gel that does straight patchouli).

Sharon Patterson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do a blend of ginger, patchouli and lilac. I can't keep it in stock. I have started making wax melts and do that blend as well as solid cologne with that blend and they all sell well.

lucycat

Reaction score
Sharon,
Can I ask what ginger you use in your blend? I think it sounds wonderful but I haven't been especially fond of the ginger type fragrances I have purchased in the last few years.

lucycat

Reaction score
I don't know if there is such a thing as a good patchouli fragrance oil. I have never tested one.

I stick with dark patchouli essential oil. I purchase from New Directions Aromatics but there are others that have good ones. I like the dark patchouli much better than the light. The big drawback - cost.

soapmaker

Soapmaker
Reaction score
I don't know if there is such a thing as a good patchouli fragrance oil. I have never tested one.

I stick with dark patchouli essential oil. I purchase from New Directions Aromatics but there are others that have good ones. I like the dark patchouli much better than the light. The big drawback - cost.
Exactly! But I spend it anyway! What's the pleasure of making something you don't like the smell of?

MGM

Reaction score
Sharon,
Can I ask what ginger you use in your blend? I think it sounds wonderful but I haven't been especially fond of the ginger type fragrances I have purchased in the last few years.
Not Sharon, but this has just given me the idea of mixing my beloved Orange-Ginger from NDA with patch--if both orange and ginger separately go with patch, the combo is bound to be fantastic!!
Oh my, SO MANY SOAPS to make.....I still have 3 Christmas ones which are prepped and must get done before anything "new".

soapmaker

Soapmaker
Reaction score
Not Sharon, but this has just given me the idea of mixing my beloved Orange-Ginger from NDA with patch--if both orange and ginger separately go with patch, the combo is bound to be fantastic!!
Oh my, SO MANY SOAPS to make.....I still have 3 Christmas ones which are prepped and must get done before anything "new".
But I'm not sure it would go with Lilac. Just Orange Ginger Patch