Paste Will Not Go Into Taffy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennescence

Reaction score
This is my very first time making liquid soap paste. The recipe I used was.

10.40 oz Glycerin
3.48 KOH 90%

4 oz coconut oil
12 oz Olive oil

I melted my oils in my crock pot. Mixed my koh into my hot glycerine until dissolved. Combined the 2 and stick blended until trace. After that I put the lid on and set to low. Every 30 minutes I went back to blend again. I got to that stage where tiny bubbles were floating in the air. The problem is....it won't move past thick trace. No taffy. It's been 6 hours with no changes. I've finally turned off the heat, put the lid on and walked away. Idk where I went wrong or what to do from here. The recipe I used was from a YouTube video and hers became taffy very very quickly. Here's what it looks like now.

Attachments

• 20210327_115046.jpg
    20210327_115046.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 14
This is my very first time making liquid soap paste. The recipe I used was.

10.40 oz Glycerin
3.48 KOH 90%

4 oz coconut oil
12 oz Olive oil

I melted my oils in my crock pot. Mixed my koh into my hot glycerine until dissolved. Combined the 2 and stick blended until trace. After that I put the lid on and set to low. Every 30 minutes I went back to blend again. I got to that stage where tiny bubbles were floating in the air. The problem is....it won't move past thick trace. No taffy. It's been 6 hours with no changes. I've finally turned off the heat, put the lid on and walked away. Idk where I went wrong or what to do from here. The recipe I used was from a YouTube video and hers became taffy very very quickly. Here's what it looks like now.
Beneath that layer of foam, is the mixture clear? Is it all that amber foamy color or clear beneath?
If clear, your batch should be fully saponifed. From the look of your spatula I see clear paste.
When I did a batch of liquid soap with glycerin instead of water, it never went to the paste state but stayed a thick liquid with a foamy top layer and a clear thick liquid paste below.

I really don't think your batch is ruined at all. Which YouTube video was it? Using the Soapmaking recipe calculator on this website, the liquid called for is only 6.98 oz, which a direct substitution of glycerin would be the same - weight wise that it.
Always double check recipes given using the Soapmaking Friend calculator just to be sure.

Please keep us posted on your developments.

Beneath that layer of foam, is the mixture clear? Is it all that amber foamy color or clear beneath?
If clear, your batch should be fully saponifed. From the look of your spatula I see clear paste.
When I did a batch of liquid soap with glycerin instead of water, it never went to the paste state but stayed a thick liquid with a foamy top layer and a clear thick liquid paste below.

I really don't think your batch is ruined at all. Which YouTube video was it? Using the Soapmaking recipe calculator on this website, the liquid called for is only 6.98 oz, which a direct substitution of glycerin would be the same - weight wise that it.
Always double check recipes given using the Soapmaking Friend calculator just to be sure.

Please keep us posted on your developments.

Hello!
Thank you for your reply 🙏 Yes after I turned it off I went back a few hours later and it was paste. The top was opaque and underneath gel. I did a ph strip test, a zap test, and a clarity test just to be super sure. I think I will try again today with just water. Less ( the amount you stated), blend and just let sit to see what happens. The YouTube video I got the recipe from was :

And the recipe on her website was:

https://threelittlegoats.com/homemade-liquid-soap/

One thing I did not mention... which is important from my viewpoint. I DID NOT use the salt thickening technique for this liquid soap recipe. Every time I have tried the salt method of thickening, it just goes wonky on me, regardless of how careful I am. Instead I used a water dilution of the paste at 66% of the recommended amount. It came out just right for my purposes. I am sure other people would beg to differ with me, but for me it works.

This good thing about the link I provided is the fact that the website gives you two links to download PDF files; one is the complete tutorial with photos, the other is just text only. A great way to add this process to a soap making binder, which I use, to store for future reference.

I DID NOT use the salt thickening technique for this liquid soap recipe. Every time I have tried the salt method of thickening, it just goes wonky on me, regardless of how careful I am.
In general, thickening with salt works well for LS with high olive oil. It will not thicken LS with over 20% coconut oil.

Thickening with salt is fairly easy to do and it doesn't flatten out later like some of the other thickeners tend to do. You can see a demo of it in this thread:

CLARITY TEST, ADD EOs, THICKEN WITH SALT

Latest posts

Back