Paste Weight

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
When diluting, are you actually weighing your paste at the time of paste to get paste weight?

Or are you assuming it's weight based on total weight of oils, H2O/Glycerin, KOH that you used as your input?

Thanks, may be helpful then to know the weight of the container before you start making the soap then.

Yes, if you dilute in the soap pot. But if you dilute some of the paste and keep some like I do -- or dilute in another container -- then just put the container on the scale, push the "tare" button to set the scale reading to zero, add the paste, and then the scale will tell you the paste weight.

edit: I like my soap pot to be not too big compared with the volume of soap batter. That means I wouldn't normally use a soap pot large enough that I could also dilute a whole batch of paste in it.

Last edited:
What do you do with the paste that you keep? Just store it for next time? If so how?

BTW, thanks for the tips!

Plastic zipper bag like Misschief or a canning jar. Or a plastic food storage container. Lots of options. Fridge is best if you have room, otherwise a cool dark place is okay.

Diluted soap takes up more room, so yes I store the paste to dilute later when I need more. I also use soap paste for household cleaning -- smear some on a rag or sponge and start rubbing. I sometimes shake a little powdered cleaner like Bon Ami onto the soap paste for cleaning stubborn spots.

Latest posts

Back