Passionfruit?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So... our passionfruit vine is prolific at the moment. I'm thinking gardeners soap with passionfruit pulp and seeds finely ground. Wondering if the seeds will be too sharp? And if the pulp is too acid?
Anyone tried this?

Passion fruit is my favorite fruit. Its soooo expensive here. It’s fairly high in citric acid. I’m not sure how you’d go about calculating how much lye you’d need. But hey, no risk no reward!

I don't think I've ever seen a passionfruit, let alone tasted one.

I found this study -- https://www.myfoodresearch.com/uploads/8/4/8/5/84855864/_6__fr-2018-233_ramaiya_8.pdf -- that gives some citric acid info. The authors reported the juice can run from 1.1% to 1.5% citric acid by weight depending on the variety tested.

So maybe a good guesstimate is the average of 1.3%. That's not as high as lemon, lime or grapefruit juice, but it's comparable to orange juice.

You could use the steps listed in my article about citrus juice to calculate the extra NaOH needed -- Citric acid, Citrus juice | Soapy Stuff -- and use 1.3% citric acid, more or less. The essential calculations from the article are --

Citric acid, grams = (Weight of juice, grams) X (Percent citric acid in juice) / 100

NaOH for citric acid, grams = (Citric acid weight, grams) X 6.24 / 10

I have used Passion fruit before, since I superfat at 2% I did not worry about the extra citric acid. I strained the seeds and would definitely grind them if you add them to soap and maybe not add a big amount. LOL, as I have mentioned in the past, there just is not much I have not tried... I live in So Cal we have lots of goodies to try!

I have used Passion fruit before, since I superfat at 2% I did not worry about the extra citric acid. I strained the seeds and would definitely grind them if you add them to soap and maybe not add a big amount. LOL, as I have mentioned in the past, there just is not much I have not tried... I live in So Cal we have lots of goodies to try!
I'm going to add pumice and make it a gardener's soap: Passionfruit and Pumice.

Back