Partials Master Batching Oils

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

SoapSap

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2014
Messages
302
Reaction score
101
I use several soap formulas that always have 90% of the same mix of oils. My question is: Can I master batch this 90% mix of oils, and then when I am ready to choose a formula and make soap, add the remaining 10% of my selected oil? It seems doable to me, but I would like to hear if that is something others have done successfully.
 

mzimm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2016
Messages
202
Reaction score
312
Location
North Carolina
I use several soap formulas that always have 90% of the same mix of oils. My question is: Can I master batch this 90% mix of oils, and then when I am ready to choose a formula and make soap, add the remaining 10% of my selected oil? It seems doable to me, but I would like to hear if that is something others have done successfully.
Of course, it's mathematically doable, but the question is, how to be sure the hard oils are melted and get thoroughly mixed in the soft oils before measuring out what you need of the master batch. I think some have a warming barrel or bucket to do just that, but don't know if that's what you're interested in. This is why so far I've only master batched lye---I can't figure out a convenient way of doing this (for me) that makes sense for the amount of soap I make on a weekly basis. I'll be interested in what others have to advise.
 

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Apr 30, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
8,311
Location
Western Illinois, USA
I certainly think it's a great idea, and would work really well if once you did the initial master batch, then break it down into individual one-batch sized containers. I have seen others do this and it seems to work very well for them. You would need additional containers with lids, of course, but if you plan to make 10 batches of soap in the next week or two (or even a month or so), it would be so much easier to measure it all out at once, melt it all and place into the smaller containers. Labeling your containers should be easy to do with a little masking tape and a marking pen. You could even melt in that container and do your mixing in that container. Less clean up with each soaping session perhaps.
 

KristaY

Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2014
Messages
2,577
Reaction score
1,958
Location
Arizona, USA
I've done exactly that, SoapSap, and it worked well. In my case all the hard oils and butters were the same in each recipe so I master batched that part. When I was ready to soap I just added the soft oils and forged ahead with the batch. It really sped up the soaping sessions for me.
 
Last edited:

PuddinAndPeanuts

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2014
Messages
384
Reaction score
199
I certainly think it's a great idea, and would work really well if once you did the initial master batch, then break it down into individual one-batch sized containers. I have seen others do this and it seems to work very well for them. You would need additional containers with lids, of course, but if you plan to make 10 batches of soap in the next week or two (or even a month or so), it would be so much easier to measure it all out at once, melt it all and place into the smaller containers. Labeling your containers should be easy to do with a little masking tape and a marking pen. You could even melt in that container and do your mixing in that container. Less clean up with each soaping session perhaps.

I do something similar to this for my body butter. I master batch somewhere between 15-20 gallons of oils/butters and while it's still warm I divide it into one gallon zip lock bags. When I'm ready to make body butter, I just add in the few remaining ingredients.

The ziplock bags work fantastically for this, but DOUBLE BAG!
 

Latest posts

Top