Partial gel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisinflorida

Reaction score
Okay...I guess I need to post pics of screw-ups as well as success. I think I got a partial gel. Veterans, can you confirm this? This is my 19th batch and the first time I've had this happen. It was insulted like previous batches too. I guess it is just one of those "**** happens" sort of things.

Part of the batch leaked into the other chamber. I noticed that the screws on the left were not as tight as they could have been. I just wonder if this could have contributed to the partial gel.

Chris

Are the colors a result of gelling or did you do 3 colors? I am no pro, but I do not see how the small leakage could have affected the gel. Anyway, it sure is purdy.

Digit

Hey Digit,

The color is from the gelling. It was supposed to be purple all the way through. The bottom color is close to what it looked like when I poured it in.

It's probably not from the leaking. I just wondered because the part that leaked into the other chamber slightly gelled. When I flipped the mold over to begin taking the log out, oil leaked out from the small piece. At the top of that small piece it looked just like glycerin soap. As soon as I flipped the mold over all that glycerin-looking top part fell out. It was a mess I wasn't expecting. I've never had anything like that happen before. After I pushed the log out, I pushed that small piece out, and it was very soft and the top had the consistency of a slushy. It is very slowly hardening up. I think it will be okay once it fully hardens. The log is starting to harden up nicely.

Unfortunately, I don't have my TOG wire cutter yet. If I get it soon I will try it out on this batch. If not, no big deal. I just made another batch today and will be making more soon.

Chris

I'm seriously loving the look of that mold. What kind is it? Looks like a MOMA exhibit.

They do after the 2nd or 3rd use. I got a pusher with the mold and use that to push the log out.

Chris

Latest posts

Back