Partial gel - soaping too hot?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KudzuGoddess

Reaction score
Made some soap last night, combined oils and lye water at about 120 degrees, maybe a little less. Put the mold on the cold porch (New Hampshire in Autumn) uncovered. This morning I have partial gel. I should have waited longer for everything to cool, yes? I also learned that a little bit of brown oxide goes a long, long way. This was not supposed to be milk chocolate color but I think you all get the point. Can I fix this by putting it in the oven?

Attachments

• PXL_20211025_124902009.jpg
    PXL_20211025_124902009.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 18
Can I fix this by putting it in the oven?
You mean Emergency CPOP? Yes, you can give it a try. But I'd guess that the bar will turn out just fine if you let it sit as is. Partial gel often mellows out by itself, when the appearance of gelled and ungelled soap approach each other after a few weeks of cure.

For the future, either go with your temperatures as low as possible (before getting troubles with false trace) and with lye concentration better higher than lower, or enforce gel by good insulation or CPOP.

Good question! I did not want gel in this case. I am good at getting gel when I want it, but no gel seems to elude me.
Not sure what setting you use for your lye solution but if you decrease the amount of water in your lye solution it will require a higher temperature before entering gel phase. If you use lye concentration try going up to as much as a 38-40% lye concentration.

Not sure what setting you use for your lye solution but if you decrease the amount of water in your lye solution it will require a higher temperature before entering gel phase. If you use lye concentration try going up to as much as a 38-40% lye concentration.

Interesting, I use 1.5:1, is that 40%?

Back