partial gel in cut soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizarrebunny

Reaction score
I just cut a slice of my first soap in half to make it a better size and discovered that it looks like it partially gelled. But I'm confused because the gelled part is running down the centre of the sliced soap. There was no sign of gel when I first cut the soap, 24hrs after I made it, so the partial gel has happened inside the cut soap :smallshrug:
I thought gel took place fairly soon after you make the soap? or is this something else? I know it doesn't really matter, just thought it was odd. I'm using milk so don't want it to gel so I'll be putting it in the fridge next time.
IMG_1821.JPG

Partial gel generally is in the middle of the soap. It just didn't get hot enough to give full gel. I generally insulate my molds to obtain gel. Some even put heating pads or other heated material on or under their molds to promote gel. It's just cosmetic and doesn't affect the soap itself. As long as it doesn't zap when tested you are good to go after cure.

It doesn't look like a partly gelled soap to me, but I'm not sure what it is. The center discoloration looks greenish in the photo -- is it that color in real life? If it is, then I'm leaning toward something else being the problem. Not sure.

It doesn't look like a partly gelled soap to me, but I'm not sure what it is. The center discoloration looks greenish in the photo -- is it that color in real life? If it is, then I'm leaning toward something else being the problem. Not sure.

I'd say it was more grey than green in real life. I just remembered that I actually moved it into a warmer room for a few days :rolleyes: The room I made it in and store it in is quite cold but about a week after making this I put it in a warmer room while a rearranged the other room. Could the change in temperature do this?

Latest posts

Back