Parma violet

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodders

Reaction score
Hi guys
wonder if you can help me.
Looking to start making my own fragrance oils for use in my soaps . Watched loads of YouTube how to videos and so on.
I really want to start with trying a Parma violet fragrance .
Which way would u suggest
1 . flowers in a carrier oil
2 . Violet extract in a carrier oil

Also wondering if I got some of the Parma violet sweets and left them to infuse in a carrier oil would this also work

Thankyou

Honestly, I don't think any of those methods are going to give you a strong enough scent in soap. Both fragrance oils and essential oils are highly concentrated fragrances. Unless you have some sort of distilling equipment for the violet petals then you are not going to achieve a scent that is going to hold, especially in cold process soap. The reason the floral oils are so expensive is the volume of plant matter that goes into making even a small amount of the concentrated oil is huge.

I agree with Saponista. You won't be able to extract any scent via your listed methods. EO's are steam distilled and it takes a whole lot of florals to get even a small amount. You would be much better off purchasing EO's or FO's.

Honestly, I don't think any of those methods are going to give you a strong enough scent in soap. Both fragrance oils and essential oils are highly concentrated fragrances. Unless you have some sort of distilling equipment for the violet petals then you are not going to achieve a scent that is going to hold, especially in cold process soap. The reason the floral oils are so expensive is the volume of plant matter that goes into making even a small amount of the concentrated oil is huge.

Thanks saponista
Would any of them hold in m/p

I agree with Saponista and Shunt. I just don't think the scent will come through much at all. I've tried MP soap even with fresh fragrant herbs (Basil, lemongrass) steeped in the soap itself and then strained and even that doesn't come through...

If you are looking for a nice parma violet fragrance, try violet bouquet from WSP if you aren't opposed to fragrance oils.

Last edited:
Ditto all of the above. For a wonderfully distinct Parma Violet scent, I like using WSP's Violet Bouquet or Daystar's Blooming Violets.

IrishLass :)

Also, trying to infuse/melt the Parma sweets/candy (American translation) into your oils will add sugar, potentially create another problem, and not add scent, I think. I would just use the FO's people have suggested above, if you are OK w/FO's.

Latest posts

Back