Pariffin Wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good because it's cheap and fairly easy to work with, especially for beginners. However, it's not eco friendly like soy, vegetable, and palm waxes.

Some other waxes can come out great without any additives, but paraffin wax may often need additives to come out right. However, colors and fragrances blend well with it - more easily than soy wax.

GrayWolf said:
What is good and what is not good in Pariffin Wax when making Candles.
Tapers and Columns. Also Temps !

Ive heard that the fumes from burning parrafin wax can be carcinogenic

All candles run risks for health concerns .. parrafin yes a by product of oil refineries .. yet .. oils we use to scent them are also chemical compounds when ominted in the air will cause health problems to some

my daughter for one .. can not breath right when i make soy or parrafin because the oils that are used to scent cause an asthmatic reaction .. which is why i dont make candles in the summer time when school is out an only when she is in school do i make them

parrafin wax is by far NOT cheap .. its just as if not more expensive in some places than soy.

Paraffin is a by-product of the petroleum industry and soy is a product of the agricultural industry. Paraffin is actually plant material--really , really old plants but still plants. Soy wax is the result of prcessing oil pressed from soy beans.
Soy burns with a tan colored soot which is less visible to the eye and leaves less residue on containers etc... BOTH waxes can be made to burn virtually soot free with the proper wicking.
Parafin is non-toxic. It's approved by the FDA for use in food, cosmetics and medical applications. Soy wax is not 100% all natural. Chemicals are added to the byproducts of soy to make a waxy substane and even more chemicals are added for the soy to be able to hold fragrance oil. The soy bean does not come out of the ground ready to be made into a candles.
We proudly use parafin in all our entire candle and tart line. There has been alot of hype about soy wax and we have decided that neither one is better than the other...each has their pro's and con's .
I believe it's all a matter of personal preference. Just as some like Ford and some like Chevy...it's just sad that the Ford lovers have to put down the Chevy lovers and even more sad that they make it seem like an inferior product.
As far as parafin being cheap---WHOA-- :shock: that is very much untrue. Where I shop, parafin cost just as much as soy and in some types, much more ...

Found this the other day on Gen Waxe's website.
www.generalwax.com

New Candle Study Press Release!

A recent study of all major candle wax types shows that when candles are well-made, they have the same clean-burning behavior and pose no discernible risks to human health or indoor air quality.

The independent lab tests, which were completed in late 2007, were conducted at the Bayreuth Insitute of Environmental Research in Germany. The tests constitute the most extensive and rigorous scientific investigation of candle emissions to date.

The study tested paraffin, soywax, stearin, palm wax and beeswax candles in specialized testing chamber. The emission gasses were analyzed for more than 300 chemicals that are known or suspected of toxicity, health risks or respiratory irritation. These chemical groups includd dioxins and furans, polycylic aromatic hydrocarbons, short-chain adehydes and volatile organic compounds. The recorded emision levels were then compared to known relevant indoor and standards.

The study found all of the waxes burned cleanly and safely, with no appreciable difference in burning behavior. Their combustion byproducts were virtually identical in composition and quantity, with all emissions levels registering far below the most restrictive of any applicable indoor air standards.

The study also looked at two candle types -- paraffin and soy -- that were specifically made to soot at high levels. The study found that even though these candles generally produced greater levels of emissions than the reference candles, they were still far below the most stringent of the applicable air quality standards.

The study was sponsored by the Association of European Candle Manufacturers, the Asociacion Latino Americana de Fabricantes de Velas, Cargill, Inc., the European Wax Federation, the National Candle Association, and the National Petrochemical & Refiners Association.

Munky.

Sort of off topic, but I buy parafin wax by using the coupon for Joann Fabrics "%40 off one regular priced item" usually in every sales flyer

Soy here. I used paraffin once and will never use it again. As a consumer, I could care less...but as a producer, I can clean soy wax off the counter, floor, stove, sink, etc with a hot soapy wash cloth. :wink:

I make a mess... It's one of the things I do best. :D

Lane said:
Soy here. I used paraffin once and will never use it again. As a consumer, I could care less...but as a producer, I can clean soy wax off the counter, floor, stove, sink, etc with a hot soapy wash cloth. :wink:

I make a mess... It's one of the things I do best. :D

I'm right there with ya!

Interesting thread ! Thanks for the information. I had actually forgotten that I had asked that question. Been too busy to spend to much time on the computer.

i have never encountered a soy wax .. i can just wash with warm water when spilled .. it makes by far thee messiest clean up ever in my opinion .. parafin just let cool a minute an you can litterally just peel up the mess an its all gone

i also never buy craftstore wax .. it has no additives in it an makes my job harder by 300% to have to add them to get it right.

Latest posts

Back