Parchment or Freezer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraftyRedhead

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but which is better to line your molds with? I've only used parchment, but it seems like every time the paper wrinkles and leaves lines on the soap. It was the worst in my pvc mold, but I'm going to coat that with mineral oil next time. So I guess my question is just for rectangle loaf molds; do you prefer lining with parchment or freezer paper? Or is there a third option I should be considering?
Thanks!
BTW, you guys are wonderful. I've been asking so many questions here lately and everyone is so helpful and awesome!

I agree. Never had any luck keeping parchment exactly where I need it to be. Freezer paper is usually my friend unless I'm getting to the end of the roll then it's a battle all the way!

Once again I'm the oddball. I've only ever used parchment paper, because it's what we keep in the house. Never had a problem with it, can pleat and line my mold in 30 seconds.

I'm using parchment paper right now because I'm a professional chef and I always have it on hand. Also had issues with creasing but I don't mind so much as I go for a kind of rough-cut rustic look to my soap anyway. One thing I was curious about. I saw some really neat plexiglass molds from Soap Hutch. According to them they need no lining and the soap pops out easily with the sides smooth as glass. Sounds too good to be true and the molds are rather expensive. I'm more of a make my own mold kinda guy as I have a bunch of commercial woodworking equipment in the garage. Has anybody here used these plexiglass molds? Do they really work as advertised? I would hope so with such a high price point.

Neither lately.. after over 100 loafs and at least 1/2 with a mold I have to line, I still can't line the darn things well.
I do use parchment paper from Costco. And the paper isn't so much the problem as the time and taping of the paper that drives me batty. Nothing sticks to my wooden molds!
So now I only use my wooden ones that have silicone and ditched the BB wooden I love. Wish they'd make a liner for it!

I don't know if my wooden 2 lb mold from SMR is typical, but I've found that the end pieces fit inside the mold when I rotate them 90 deg. This lets me put them inside the mold, with the paper already inside and creased on the long sides, level with the end. Then I just crease and pleat as if each end was a Christmas package, but bottom only. I put the end pieces on correctly, snip the corners of the paper to let me fold down the paper, and use a large rubber band to hold the paper in place, cause tape never works for me either. I don't know if that made sense, but it's quick and kinda fun.

Edit to add, if you have a larger mold you could just make a loop of string with a rubber band holding the ends together, or a rubber band chain.

Last edited:
I'm having issues picturing where the rubber band goes to hold the parchment paper in, but it sounds like a good idea, if I could figure it out!

Just around - like this:
attachment.php

I have only used parchment and don't have any problem with it. Other than measuring, cutting, folding, miscalculating measurements ;) but I'm sure it's the same with freezer paper as well. I just DO NOT like silicone LOAF molds. They seem to take longer and to me, not do as well. But to each her/his own. Good luck!

I think I may have to get some freezer paper! One of these days I'd love to upgrade to a real mold with a reusable liner, but for now I'm lining milk cartons and shoe boxes!

I'm using parchment paper right now because I'm a professional chef and I always have it on hand. Also had issues with creasing but I don't mind so much as I go for a kind of rough-cut rustic look to my soap anyway. One thing I was curious about. I saw some really neat plexiglass molds from Soap Hutch. According to them they need no lining and the soap pops out easily with the sides smooth as glass. Sounds too good to be true and the molds are rather expensive. I'm more of a make my own mold kinda guy as I have a bunch of commercial woodworking equipment in the garage. Has anybody here used these plexiglass molds? Do they really work as advertised? I would hope so with such a high price point.

I have a plexiglass mold I bought from Michaels. (http://www.michaels.com/artminds-soap-making-loaf-mold/10215699.html) It was $30, but I used a 50% off coupon, so it was a great deal at $15. It is made really well, but I can't say yet about how smooth the sides of the loaf will be. I have only used it once with a HP batch that I overcooked and basically had to knead like dough and cram it into the mold. It came out VERY rustic, and it stuck to the mold, even after I put it in the freezer for about 20 min. I'm going to try the mold with a CP batch, which will have better results, I hope.

Since you're a chef, maybe you can answer a question about plexiglass for me. I would love to use this mold for CPOP, but I don't know if plexiglass can withstand the 170 degree oven. What do you think?

Last edited:
Seannansmommy, what size are the soaps this mold makes? There are no measurements on the site. I wonder if the lb is by oil weight or by the weight with the water added? And I wonder the same thing about the oven. Sometimes I have to force gel.

I actually have that exact mold. It's not plexiglass though. It's HDPE(high-density polyethylene). I've never got a batch of soap to come out of it cleanly without lining it(I only do CP...I don't have the patience required for HP or CPOP). I've even tried a silicone based release spray and mineral oil but no dice. I have larger wooden molds that I use for production batches but I still use that one for smaller test batches before I do a larger-scale run of a recipe. HDPE will withstand constant temperatures up to 230 degrees F so it should be fine for CPOP. When they say 3 pound capacity they are referring to the total weight of the batch...oils, water, lye, fragrance, etc. When I use it I do 32oz of oils and typically have a little bit of batter left which I usually pour into a couple single cavity molds to use as my "impatience soaps" because I always have to test one out right away, lol! Let me ask you this, do you find tgT the sides bow out if you tighten the wing nuts on the bolts too tightly? With mine if I tighten them any more than just enough to prevent leakage the side bows out leaving me with a lopsided loaf when I unmold it.

Latest posts

Back