Paraffin or Soy Wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2soap123

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am newbie to candle making and i have been told by family members not to use paraffin wax as its harmful... is that true?

is soy wax a better better one to use, or indeed another type?

kind regards
gavi

I am newbie to candle making and i have been told by family members not to use paraffin wax as its harmful... is that true?
Paraffin is no more harmful than any other wax.
Your family members have fallen victim to the excellent marketing that soy wax producers have done.
People think that because soy wax comes from the soy bean it is a more natural wax than paraffin. And although the origins of the wax, yes are more natural, the process the make the wax, is very much the same process that turns petroleum into paraffin wax.

It's also believed that because paraffin wax produces a black soot (when not properly made or wicked) it is somehow dirtier than soy wax, however, soy wax can/will soot just as much, it's just that soy wax produces a much lighter soot.

In this day of wax production it truly is all about personal preference. I've never had a problem selling my paraffin candles. Ever.
Some chandlers will claim that consumers absolutely refuse to buy a paraffin candle. So you will also have to do some market research in the area you plan on selling and see if this is the case.

I too originally fell for this until I did more research. Soy is marketed as cleaner and greener and it's just not true,

Both are highly processed, one is an agricultural crop and one is a byproduct of the petrochemical industry.

It's worth noting that almost all of the big name candle companies use paraffin or a paraffin soy blend. The scent throw is just so much better with paraffin than soy.

Saying that, I've tried paraffin, rapeseed, coconut and soy and prefer to use soy but thats my personal preference.

I'm a newbie too and I thought I wanted to make soy candles but then as I read..I went with para/soy blend (IG6006) because it seemed like it would be easier to make the para/soy blend work as a newbie. I have made several candles and they all turned out pretty great with the wax I chose. I still want to try soy and see if I notice a difference but the blend is very easy to work with so now I fear changing.

I too originally fell for this until I did more research. Soy is marketed as cleaner and greener and it's just not true,

Both are highly processed, one is an agricultural crop and one is a byproduct of the petrochemical industry.

It's worth noting that almost all of the big name candle companies use paraffin or a paraffin soy blend. The scent throw is just so much better with paraffin than soy.

Saying that, I've tried paraffin, rapeseed, coconut and soy and prefer to use soy but thats my personal preference.
If the scent throw is so much better with paraffin, may I ask why then you prefer soy?

I love that we can all have different opinions and preferences! I truly do.
I prefer soy because it is a renewable resource. Petroleum is not. I prefer soy because it supports my neighbors. Petroleum supports the oil industry. And yes, the cleanup is much easier. Also... strange... but we and our customers find that our soy candles have a much better cold and hot scent throw than paraffin.
Personal preference! Lovely to have a choice! Just thought I'd share mine. <3

Looks like the question of paraffin has been covered here. I will also add that it also depends on where the paraffin was produced and what guidelines they need to abid by. Many other countries allow harmful chemicals to remain in the paraffin byproduct. Toulene, Xylene and other nasties can be in some paraffin. Things you really really don't want to breath. But, if it is US made the restrictions here are much different and those products should not be in the wax. And actually, those chemicals are used as industrial cleaners and are given a second life.

I love paraffin. I love it for the vibrant colors and the incredibly beautiful pillars I can make with it. I love soy. It cleans up with soap and water and is easier to get the wicking right for container candles. These are my opinions. I think each has their place. And both can be clean burning and have great scent throw if they are wicked correctly.

Welcome to candle making! This is just the first of many many many choices. Enjoy your journey :)

Latest posts

Back