Paraben free preservative for sugar scrub

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for getting back to me. I really want my scrub to be paraben free and was fairly certain that either Germall Plus or Opthiphen Plus would be okay but it really helps to get another opinion.

Looking for an alternative to phenonip for a sugar scrub recipe. I have Optiphen Plus and Germall Plus. Would one of these work?
Is this something that you'll be selling? If so, keep in mind that more people are allergic to formaldehyde releasers than are allergic to parabens. I would try to stick with something that more people can use, and that's parabens.

If you get customers that won't use it because they've bought into the marketing hype and now think parabens are harmful, just show them this:
https://labmuffin.com/should-you-be-avoiding-parabens-the-science/

@Quanta :thumbs::thumbs: Well said. Parabens are the true work horses of the preservatives. Sad that they were the object of negative press earlier on. Tsk tsk.

That being said, Liquid Germal Plus is my preservative of choice because it is effective at the lowest usage rate across a wide range of applications, readily available and "non-paraben" for label appeal.

So many of these folks that have bought into the hype forget about the fruits they eat that contain natural parabens. How many of us eat onions, blueberries, cherries, and cucumbers for example? Our own systems even produce PHBA which parabens are derived from.
So if Lush puts pureed fruit in their products, does that mean they aren't paraben free? 🤔

😄

Back