Papaya coconut from bramble berry, issues?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
Trying to figure out some issues with a batch of soap, a fellow soapmaker had issues when they used this same fragrance oil too!

Batch was 33oz coconut, 4.8 oz lye, 9.6 oz water. (100% coconut at 20%sf).

I added 2 oz of Papaya Coconut and 1ml SeaFoam green colorant. I had a "weird" texture that was almost grainy but not seized or rice. It was pourable and I used a silicon mold (and still can't get the scent out). There was some oil seepage which did reabsorb in two days. I then got what looks like ash on the tops...ok, no big deal. But now the "ash" is turning orange! No "off" smell, and only the tops have the orange. I'm thinking the oil seepage is the orange? Can't get pics up this minute....

Has anyone else had issues using this fragrance? I do like the smell (two weeks later, at first its too much). I've used the seafoam green colorant on two other batches without any issues....

Interesting! I've used this FO in several batches but no problems like you've described. My recipe was much different though. Also, I didn't add any color because this FO discolors to med brown. I wonder if your sea foam green is reacting with the 2% vanilla in the FO. I usually split the batch in half, add Papaya Coconut to part with no color, then add another FO that doesn't discolor to the other half. Drop or hangar swirl them together. I haven't had any problem with texture or morphing.

Edit to add: I recently had a color morph problem like yours with another FO. I added ultramarine blue to Mayan Gold (BB) and ended up with green tops. This was the first time I added color to this FO so blame that. It also discolors med brown (vanilla is 2.6%). It was easy to run under the faucet after I unmolded to wash it off. Makes me wonder if adding certain colors to discoloring FO's will lead to odd morphing problems. No odd texture issues with this one either.

Last edited:
Ohhhhhh didn't even look at the "discolor" factor... (did I mention I got FO's before actually talking to soapers...). The seafoam is holding true to color right now....and it hasn't discolored/changed textures in the other two batches (non scented) either ... so I was suspecting the FO. I guess I need to do a non colored batch next!

Pictures are the orangey ashy stuff. I haven't tried washing it off yet, the bars are almost three weeks old so I was waiting a month. It's not forming on the bottom or sides yet, although not much of the ashy stuff formed there. Pretty color in the soap (looks even better at a lighter amount to me). No brown discoloration in the rest of the soap yet? Maybe it takes a long time to show up?

color1.jpg

color2.jpg

Last edited:
update..... The orangey is almost def. a discoloring issue. Different recipe with lard has brown spots instead of orange. The orange ashy washes off ..... had the acceleration issue in a batch colored with a different color but not the oil seperation or weird texture. I guess papaya doesn't want to be green!

I used this fo and had a strange experience too! I was trying to color it a raspberry-ish color (using celestial colors) and it went grainy and tried to separate on me as well! I mixed like crazy and threw it into my pvc pipe mold anyway. It's ugly, but it smells great!

Ok so it's not just me :).

I do love the smell. Maybe its the colorants that it doesn't like...I'm going to have to try an uncolored batch (or maybe one with a natural coloring)...

One question-did you hand mix after you added the FO or stick blend? I'm wondering if my random spotting issue in the lard is because I hand stirred and maybe couldn't mix enough....the first batch (didnt know any better) I stick blended the FO in and the discoloring is only on the tops.

Experiment time coming up....I can feeeeeeeeeeel it...

Latest posts

Back