Panty hose for what exactly?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinsmom13

Reaction score
I remember seeing someone say they used panty hose to smooth their soap or something. I’m curious, does anyone know about this technique and what it actually does? Or how to even do it.
I am wanting my soaps to be super smooth without any perfections. I only do cold process. Let me know of any tips and tricks please :)

I think it was a video by Amy Warden (Soap Challenge Club, Great Cakes Soaps) where she showed how to polish soap using nylon hosiery. If I recall, she just rubbed it on the dry soap to polish it.

When I tried this, either my soap wasn't hard enough, or the hosiery wasn't fine enough, since I didn't get the shiny results that she did.

Back toward the early days of this pandemic, I read an article which recommended using tubes of pantyhose cut from the thigh section in combination with a face mask. The idea was to ensure a good fit of the mask over the face and to add another layer. It just made me think of robbers.
1620402407200.png

Besides, who wears pantyhose anymore? I stopped wearing nylons way back in the 60's right along with girdles and with my Mom's blessing. She told me what her mom told her, "You won't ever need to wear a girdle if you hold in your stomache." And pantyhose felt as restrictive to me as those girdes of my youth. I did have to wear pantyhose for my years as a nursing student due to a uniform dress code, but as soon as I graduated they became a thing of the past, as did my nursing cap (only worn while in training and never again.)

Even in the several years when I wore high heels every day, my legs remained bare. Maybe I was an oddball in that respect, but I just couldn't stand the feel of them (the nylon stockings).

Granted, there obviously is still a market for them and even Amazon sells them. But I just haven't noticed them in stores in ages. But then I haven't been looking for them either. And I suppose the only reason I am aware that women still buy them is because I have youthful granddaughters. But that's a whole other topic!

I don't even know if they sell panyhose in florida LOL I remember back in Philly there was an entire aisle dedicated to them LOL
Isn't it funny how wearing panty hose one day just...stopped? Right around 1999 I stopped wearing/buying them. My husband, however, buys me a pair here and there, hoping it'll go back into fashion. One of his favorite movies is "The Graduate." You can read between the lines to follow that image and thought process...

Isn't it funny how wearing panty hose one day just...stopped? Right around 1999 I stopped wearing/buying them. My husband, however, buys me a pair here and there, hoping it'll go back into fashion. One of his favorite movies is "The Graduate." You can read between the lines to follow that image and thought process...
so I should hold off on soaping them up and leave them in my dresser, where they have been of 15+ years? LOL.

Back toward the early days of this pandemic, I read an article which recommended using tubes of pantyhose cut from the thigh section in combination with a face mask. The idea was to ensure a good fit of the mask over the face and to add another layer. It just made me think of robbers.
View attachment 57015

Besides, who wears pantyhose anymore? I stopped wearing nylons way back in the 60's right along with girdles and with my Mom's blessing. She told me what her mom told her, "You won't ever need to wear a girdle if you hold in your stomache." And pantyhose felt as restrictive to me as those girdes of my youth. I did have to wear pantyhose for my years as a nursing student due to a uniform dress code, but as soon as I graduated they became a thing of the past, as did my nursing cap (only worn while in training and never again.)

Even in the several years when I wore high heels every day, my legs remained bare. Maybe I was an oddball in that respect, but I just couldn't stand the feel of them (the nylon stockings).

Granted, there obviously is still a market for them and even Amazon sells them. But I just haven't noticed them in stores in ages. But then I haven't been looking for them either. And I suppose the only reason I am aware that women still buy them is because I have youthful granddaughters. But that's a whole other topic!
The nursing outfits of that time frame: bombshells. Thank you for your work as a nurse. That is one of my ultimate goals.

I tried pantyhose but didn’t like the way it made soap dust or gummed up. A microfiber cloth works best for me. For a smooth surface on a cut bar, you can’t beat a planer.
Are you using both the micro fiber and the planer? I tried the microfiber and it is smoothing a lot and making it very shiny. That is with it dry. Should I wet it a bit?

Do you dampen it at all or just dry? How long after cutting?
It varies. If the soap has ash, I either steam it off or dip in a hot water bath & then dry/polish it. Or I spray with alcohol and then polish with the microfiber cloth. I prefer to wait until the soap is planed & beveled, so obviously the soap is not new when I do this. It isn't necessarily old either, so it really depends on the hardness of the soap, which depends on the formula and how much time has passed. I'd say, for the most part, the soap is at least 2 weeks into cure by the time I do this, but how quickly soap hardens up varies by formula & curing conditions.

I use panty hose for the first straining on herbal infusions.
Me too. :thumbs: I also use them for drying pure soap balls after salting out. Hang them from a banana holder to drip dry... squeeze & shape daily to get all the excess water out. Good for using up soap scraps. Also, I buy L'eggs and wear them fairly often. Good for preventing varicose veins in aging legs that do a lot of standing. ;)

Me too. :thumbs: I also use them for drying pure soap balls after salting out. Hang them from a banana holder to drip dry... squeeze & shape daily to get all the excess water out. Good for using up soap scraps. Also, I buy L'eggs and wear them fairly often. Good for preventing varicose veins in aging legs that do a lot of standing. ;)
Were they the ones that used to come in the 'egg' shaped containers?

Latest posts

Back