Palm wax cleanup

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traciej68

Reaction score
Hi! New here, and new to palm. I'm trying my hand at palm containers, tin, 8oz, so far unsuccessful but only did 3 for a wick test. Failed, but I think because I didn't stir while cooling, so air was trapped underneath and they burned wierd, like top was still crusty, but liquid underneath. I don't know if this is normal, but I didn't like the looks. Anyway, I used a csn 16 wick on one which seemed to look best, but the scent I used was horrible so I threw it out before I finished testing, lol. The cleanup, however, omg. This stuff is like concrete. No soap and water cleanup, no alcohol, I had to keep melting and wiping to a thin layer then GooGone seemed to help, but barely. I ruined the pan that held the water for the double boiler. Lesson learned. Anyone have any cleanup ideas? Any better wick suggestions? 1oz fragrance per 16 oz wax, 3inch round short tin 8oz container. I've read csn wicks work best, has anyone tried them? I'm testing one of those, one med wood wick, and 2 skinny hemps, just to see. It'll be awhile, I plan on curing for a couple weeks. Any thoughts appreciated, sorry for the book, 1st time in a forum

You don't need to stir palm while it's cooling. It is very very different than soy - as in you should pour palm wax VERY HOT to get the crysalized effect that palm is famous for. What I do with my palm is once the top of my container wax is hard enough to hold the weight of the molten wax beneath it is turn it over. That way the air bubbles go to the bottom of the candle, and since you don't want the candle burning all the way to the bottom of the container anyway, you don't need to worry about any of the holes. If that doesn't work for you, you could always poke relief holes and do a repour, but then the top of your candle will not look nice.
For pillars I don't do anything because the bottom of the pillar mold is actually going to be the top of my candle.

For cleanup - a griddle and paper towels will become your best friend. I put my empty pour pot on a warmed griddle and when the wax inside is melted, wipe with a paper towel. Again, palm is different that soy and will not clean up with soap and water.

Palm also doesn't need a long cure period like soy. I usually start my scent/wick tests the next day when I know the candle has completely cooled and crystalized. As for wicking, with my palm candles, I like regular CD wicks, and have had the best luck with them.

Thanks for your reply. I see it is very different, and i love the way it looks. I'm not doing pillars at this time, just containers. I did pour very hot, and this time I did stir the tops when they crusted. It didn't mess them up, but I'll have to see after curing if there are still air pockets. When I tested the first batch they looked bad when burning because the tops were still crusty with liquid underneath. I've read you're supposed to cure for a month to wick test since it gets super hard over time, and testing too soon results in underwicking. You don't find this to be true? Thanks again!

Sorry, one more. Do you melt your palm in a pot on the griddle, or double boiler? I used db & it somehow gets wax in the water then I have to clean that too:(

I did pour very hot, and this time I did stir the tops when they crusted. It didn't mess them up, but I'll have to see after curing if there are still air pockets.
If you didn't do a repour, then yes, there will still be airpockets. Stirring will not get rid of them, it will just displace them. You either have to poke relief holes and do a repour, or you have to flip your container so your air pockets will be at the bottom of your candle.

When I tested the first batch they looked bad when burning because the tops were still crusty with liquid underneath. I've read you're supposed to cure for a month to wick test since it gets super hard over time, and testing too soon results in underwicking. You don't find this to be true? Thanks again!
Palm wax does get super hard, but no, I don't find you have to wait a month. That IMO is overkill. As long as the candle is completely solid and cool you can test. I normally wait only 3-4 days with palm. It will burn different in a months time, but not so significant that you are severely underwicked. (I find I don't have to change my wick at all once I initially decide on a wick after my testing is complete, and as I said, I start testing within 4 days)

Sorry, one more. Do you melt your palm in a pot on the griddle, or double boiler? I used db & it somehow gets wax in the water then I have to clean that too:(
I didn't see this until just now. I melt my wax in a presto pot, then pour in my warmed by the griddle pour pot. I'll find a pic and post it.

This is how I melt my wax, then pour in the pour-pot that is warmed by the griddle.
presto w- griddle.jpg

Latest posts

Back