Palm vs no palm?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wikkedsuzanna

Reaction score
Good morning!
For those of you who have made soap with and also without palm oil, what differences have you noticed with colorants, if any? Have you noticed any other differences?
I want to stay palm free, but I have soap envy and I wonder if this is a factor. I've never used palm.
Thanks!

Thanks for all your input. From your responses, it seems my disappointment with my colors is not related to my oils. I'll try some other things then.

If you are asking because you are disappointed in the colors you are getting, maybe it is the colorant itself. What are you using? The amount you use will also affect the outcome.

Thanks for all your input. From your responses, it seems my disappointment with my colors is not related to my oils. I'll try some other things then.

What oils and colorants are you using?

I've used palm oils from soap suppliers, and palm oil that's hydrogenated for restaurant use (which is a lot whiter). The regular palm did have some affect on the colors (I use micas). Many ended up slightly dull in shade compared to recipes with hydrogenated palm. I helped counter that yellow hue by making sure my other oils were whiter, like ho safflower oil instead of olive oil, and using Nutiva coconut oil. (the coconut oil from some sources can have quite a yellow tinge to it). Once I use up this palm oil I won't buy any more except in tiny amounts for a certain recipe.

For those of you who have made soap with and also without palm oil, what differences have you noticed with colorants, if any? Have you noticed any other differences?

I want to stay palm free, but I have soap envy and I wonder if this is a factor. I've never used palm.

Yes, no, maybe so.

To be able to assist you, it would be helpful to know what your current recipe is (percentages would be helpful), what colorants you are using, from where and the amount be used.

Some oils/butters can affect the color of your batter more so than others. Making sure you are purchasing colorants that are meant to be used in soap is important and is the amount that you are using.

Back