Palm oil substitute?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackfish

Reaction score
I can not find palm oil any where locally. I plan to order some online, but for now what can I use in place of it? I'd rather not use beef tallow or lard... what about vegetable oil/Crisco? Thanks!

Hi Blackfish , I don't know where you are located but I have heard that in the USA , sometimes shortening is made with palm oil.You just have to check the labels. I can't find it locally here in Canada either. There are lots of oils that you can use in place of palm. If you go to Soapcalc or any of the recipe calculator sites , you can plug in what you have on hand for oils and it will tell you the qualities that the soap will have. You can make a beautiful soap with olive oil and coconut oil .This site has lots of info and all kinds of recipes with all kinds of oils.

http://www.millersoap.com/

HTH
Kitn

oilsby nature has palm for a pretty good price.
I use crisco, coconut, olive, safflower, canola, you can make soap without palm!

You can usually find everything you need as far as oils and fats at the grocery. Oilve oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, shortening, and lard can all be found at most groceries. Walmart even used to carry small bottles of castor oil in the pharmacy section. I haven't checked to see if they still offer castor oil lately.

A good substitute for palm that is non animal-fat based and fairly similar in its profile to palm is mango butter. It's not 1 on 1 exact, but it's close enough.

I soap with lard a lot, which is pretty interchangable 1 on 1 with palm, and I've found that I can substitute my lard out for mango butter just fine. I've done it in about 4 batches so far with great success. I'm sure it will do just as fine with a palm recipe.

These other butters have similar profiles to palm as well: cocoa butter, kokum butter, and shea butter. They are not 1 on 1 exact, but they are close enough. With just a small tweak here or there, I think they'll do just fine as a substitution as mango butter does for my lard recipes.

IrishLass :)

i just went to health store and if you sak for palm they say they dont have it, but it is shortening to them, i looked ast label it is palm, 1.5 lb for 6$, kinda spendy, but if youre desperate!

honor435 said:
i just went to health store and if you sak for palm they say they dont have it, but it is shortening to them, i looked ast label it is palm, 1.5 lb for 6$, kinda spendy, but if youre desperate!

Wow! :shock: My local health food store sells the 1.5 lb. Spectrum Palm for 2.97. I just bought 2 tubs of it last week. I hope they weren't selling it so low to clear it out or something.

IrishLass

Latest posts

Back