Palm Oil Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfectsoap

Reaction score
Ok, I have some palm oil that is right around 10 months old. I went to use some and it smells grassy, I don't remember palm smelling like that. Any thoughts? rancid?
Thanks!
Jeff

perfectsoap said:
Ok, I have some palm oil that is right around 10 months old. I went to use some and it smells grassy, I don't remember palm smelling like that. Any thoughts? rancid?
Thanks!
Jeff

10 months on your shelf, plus a couple months crossing the ocean, plus a month in the factory that made it, plus 6 months in the local wholesalers warehouse, plus 6 months on your local retailers shelf= a long time.

Of course, I'm assuming a lot. Your oil may be younger or older than my estimate.

I'm starting a soap company in Africa and I'm currently making test batches to perfect my recipes before I send the basic soapmaking equipment over to my partner.

My second batch was a CP batch of 100% palm kernel oil. It looks good, smells okay, lathers well, but leaves a horrible rancid after smell on my hands.

I have no way of truly knowing how old my palm kernel oil actually is, so don't know if the oil is bad, or if the rancid after smell is normal for 100% palm kernel oil soap.

Hopefully, your oil is still fresh enough to make good soap.

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I thought about the shelf time before I acquired it and I have googled smell and grassy smell and palm and looked on vendor websites for palm and smell,but nothing. I think I'll call Mike at Soaper's Choice Monday and ask him since this is where I buy my oils. It just seems really weird that it smells grassy,like hemp.
Thanks again.
Jeff

Cattleyabubbles said:
You sure he didn't send hemp seed oil by mistake, what color is your oil? :?

No, it was white (cream color) and solid.
I really don't think it had a smell the last time I used it, it is just weird that it has a grassy smell. Maybe I cross contaminated it someway...

smell

I just opened a bottle of organic Olive Oil that was sealed from the same place and it also smells grassy, but I think I read that OO can?
Good Greef.

Back