Palm Oil question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewepootoo

Reaction score
I have just made my first batch of soap with 25% Palm Oil in place of some of the Olive Oil. I made it at room temperature and after only a couple of minutes it appeared to reach trace so I went to pour it into the mould's and about 20 seconds later it would not pour. I scraped it into the mould's and it seems ok. I used Lavender fragrance oil at 3% which I stirred in by hand at the first sign of trace along with a few drop's of Violet color. Was it the Palm Oil that sped up the trace? It was rock hard in an hour or so. Can I use Ylang Ylang fragrance oil in CP? does it make a difference whether my soap is mainly Olive Oil or CoconutOil or Tallow in governing whether I can use Ylang Ylang? My sisters really like that fragrance and they are my only testers at the moment and the customer is always right. A chap at work has Foliculitis, his wife has Excema and their baby son is allergic to everything so I will have some willing testers there when I am confident that my soap is not fatal. Steve :D

Palm oil is said to speed trace so that's likely part of the equation. Floral fragrance oils are also notorious for speeding trace.

You will likely have better luck with a floral FO if you use olive or tallow - they are both fairly slow (olive being the slowest).

For allergic folk - I'd recommend not putting any color or fragrance in there, at least at the start. I hope it helps - switching to hand made soaps (I believe) was a big factor in clearing up my kids' eczema and mine.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back