Palm Oil Free recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarvel

Reaction score
I am trying to go Palm Oil free in my soap recipes. I was wondering what anyone else uses to substitute for palm oil besides tallow or lard?

I personally use lard or palm, **** the torpedoes! But, if you are set on a vegan, non-palm soap, you can look at shea butter.

Bear in mind, butters have their own issues in recipes when used in higher amounts, so it depends on how much palm you usually use.

A tip I use - go to soap calc, set the first oil to the oil that you want to replace (in this case palm) set it to 100% and calculate that recipe. Don't worry about viewing it or anything like that, but what it does do is allow you to select other oils in the window and get a direct side-by-side comparison of their numbers - the selected oil vs the entire soap - the entire soap in this case consists of our 1 oil................simples. This way you can find something that gets you in the area that you are aiming for.

I personally use lard or palm, **** the torpedoes! But, if you are set on a vegan, non-palm soap, you can look at shea butter.

Bear in mind, butters have their own issues in recipes when used in higher amounts, so it depends on how much palm you usually use.

A tip I use - go to soap calc, set the first oil to the oil that you want to replace (in this case palm) set it to 100% and calculate that recipe. Don't worry about viewing it or anything like that, but what it does do is allow you to select other oils in the window and get a direct side-by-side comparison of their numbers - the selected oil vs the entire soap - the entire soap in this case consists of our 1 oil................simples. This way you can find something that gets you in the area that you are aiming for.

Personally, I love using lard and tallow and both in my soaps. I have a supplier who renders them and they are wonderful. I may be freaking out over nothing. My first Bazaar is Saturday and I am wondering what the reaction will be with Lard and/or Tallow listed in my ingredients. Guess I will find out, Saturday. haha

Definitely going to take your tip and get to that SoapCalc!! Thank you ever so much! :)

Kathie

I had a recipe that I liked (from Soap Queen I think) that used palm:
Olive oil 40%
Rice Bran Oil 15%
Coconut oil 76 deg 20%
Palm oil 20%
Shea butter 5%
SF 6%

By fiddling about in Soap Calc I was able to to reach about the same values under Soap Bar Quality by using:
Olive Oil 40%
Coconut Oil 20%
Rice Bran oil 17%
Shea butter 15 %
Cocoa Butter 8%
SF 6%

I've tried the soaps side by side, and I can't tell the difference, but I am a nub so theres that.

I wouldn't worry about the lard or tallow soaps. From what I've seen of my (non vegetarian) friends, at first they might be suspicious - but then they want it and come back for more. I actually played it up and called the lard batch "Orange Piggy Lard Soap" because Im classy that way.

Last edited:
when i am trying to omit CO / or PKO in my soaps i tend to use Babassau as a replacement . i do not use tallow or lard so i go to the next closest thing in character.

:-D You live in Hereford, AZ...do you really think very many will squawk about lard or tallow!! On the serious side, I have a few customers that will not use a lard or tallow soap but so few I would not worry about it, especially in AZ. Good luck with your first Bazaar

I personally use lard in all my batches. I don't use a lot of palm because it is slightly higher priced than lard. I am still experimenting with a palm free, vegan soap recipe. I have tried many combinations of hard butters and soybean shortening and have yet to find something that I love. They are all acceptable to some degree, but in my opinion if you don't have a good reason not to use lard or palm try it out. Have fun experimenting.:)

You can sub Olive Oil for Palm, just take longer to cure.

Olive Oil 70%
Coconut 20%
Castor 5%
Shea 5%

If you don't want to make a castile soap, I recommend a good fresh, well-rendered tallow. I don't want to use palm oil either. I get very hard, smooth and creamy bars from tallow, with no beefy smell.

:-D You live in Hereford, AZ...do you really think very many will squawk about lard or tallow!! On the serious side, I have a few customers that will not use a lard or tallow soap but so few I would not worry about it, especially in AZ. Good luck with your first Bazaar

Carolyn, hahaha......you may have a point there. :smile: Out of the 10 different scent bars, only 2 have lard, tallow or both. It will be interesting to see if anyone mines. Just a little nervous and excited, I think. thanks for the chuckle tho. :smile:

Kathie

If you don't want to make a castile soap, I recommend a good fresh, well-rendered tallow. I don't want to use palm oil either. I get very hard, smooth and creamy bars from tallow, with no beefy smell.

Grumpy Owl.......love your name!!! :)

I just used a bar of my tallow/lard soap. I was worried about a beefy piggy smell. haha Smells like my FO I used and very hard bar of soap with a creamy feel and lots of lather. All the things I want my soap to have!

Latest posts

Back