Palm Oil Export Ban

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just saw in the news that Indonesia is banning exports of palm oil starting Thursday. Indonesia is a or the top producer. And the articles I read said it was done to help with "rising domestic prices". It also said that it will cause an increase in the price of other vegetable oils. Worldwide. One article said that palm oil was 60% of global vegetable oil shipments. I didn't realize that palm oil was in so many other products. My first thought after reading the first article was not about food. lol My first thought was, "Oh no. My soap" lol And not because I love palm oil. But because every oil I use will most likely have a price increase.

Thanks for the heads up. One article I read said that they expected the ban to only last a month but this will unfortunately have a global effect on all oil prices. :(

That is a fairly stupid move. No sales, no money. If folks can’t buy your product, they will substitute…and then get used to it. So then when you start selling again, there won’t be any buyers.

If their goal is to increase domestic supply and thus lower domestic costs it will do that.

Their bigger goal is probably to reduce the inflation that we're seeing globally, which this won't do much to help since there are so many other variables at play there.

*Takes off economics teacher hat and slowly backs away*

Back