Palm oil dissapointment!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went today yo the local Asian market to but CO and I asked if they had any PO, they showed me this bottle
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1380115176.908609.jpg

And I checked the label on the back
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1380115207.438766.jpg

So I was quite sure it would be just plain palm oil

Now, when I got home and I opened the bottle I realised that mane labelling food products in Africa might not be as strict as in Europe because there are definitely spices in this oil.
It smells of peppers and it is orange, I guess palm oil it's not supposed to look like this?? Is it??? Never used it before but I have an image in my head and it's similar looking to CO??

This is what the oil inside looks likeImageUploadedBySoap Making1380115423.833678.jpg

I tasted it and it has a hint of paprika in it....

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

That is unrefined palm. It does have an orange/red color and a strong smell/taste. Your soap will be orange.

looks like red palm oil.....don't use too much in your soap or else it'll dye things orange.....

Oh, so it's the way it should be?? In the future I will just look for refined then....

Oh well, it will come in handy for orange soaps I guess.... Will the soap stain??

This is unrefined palm oil. There is nothing wrong with it.

Here in Malaysia where we produce palm oil, this sort of palm oil (red palm oil) is used for cooking and reputed to be better than RBD palm olein.

The soap won't stain the skin, but it will stain silicone utensils and molds when you are making it. Plus, if you use more than 10% you will have colored lather. And it makes things a gold/yellow color, not orange like the oil itself. I use it straight on my hair and have learned to be careful because the oil will stain countertops, walls, clothes, etc.

I made the same mistake and the soaps stunk and the silicone molds made my next batches tint badly, it was a nightmare, the tint took ages to wear off the silicone. I would not use again. I threw the rest away, sorry for the waste. You live in the uk, right? I have just found out that Makro sell extremely cheap refined palm oil called "palmax", check their website. I am going there soon to get some. Are you Spanish?

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Hi!
Yes I am from Spain.
I haven't got a makro account but it can buy in costco, do you think they will sell it there too???

I am Spanish too! I live in London (bienvenida a este hobby, yo soy bastante nueva también) . I have a Makro card but not Costco. I had a quick look at costco's website and couldn't find palm oil. I also found out that Tesco sells vegetable ghee( a substitute for the animal butter one used in Indian cooking) is made of pure palm oil. It works out at around £2 per kilo which I think it is quite good. Asda also sells one but the ingredients say"vegetable oils"' so you can't trust it to be 100% palm oil. My local Tesco does not stock it but bigger stores do. I hope this is helpful.

Be careful when buying palm oil. If it's in liquid form, it's usually RBD palm olein.

(There are many types of palm oil - my friend is a palm oil researcher and she once shared pictures of the different types of palm oil products in the market: crude palm oil, bleached palm oil, RBD palm olein, RBD palm stearin, JGQ palm oil, Fluidised palm oil, red palm super olein, NBD palm oil, Bleached palm stearin, RBD palm oil, vegetable ghee, RBD palm olein (IV62),RBD palm olein (IV65), crude palm kernel oil, bleached palm kernel oil, palm fatty acid distillate,crude palm stearin, palm kernel fatty acid distillate,shortening, RBD palm kernel oil)

Be careful when buying palm oil. If it's in liquid form, it's usually RBD palm olein.

(There are many types of palm oil - my friend is a palm oil researcher and she once shared pictures of the different types of palm oil products in the market: crude palm oil, bleached palm oil, RBD palm olein, RBD palm stearin, JGQ palm oil, Fluidised palm oil, red palm super olein, NBD palm oil, Bleached palm stearin, RBD palm oil, vegetable ghee, RBD palm olein (IV62),RBD palm olein (IV65), crude palm kernel oil, bleached palm kernel oil, palm fatty acid distillate,crude palm stearin, palm kernel fatty acid distillate,shortening, RBD palm kernel oil)

I always use liquid palm oil, which I assume is RBD palmolein in soap making. It's the most readily available here. Is there something wrong with it?

When I was in France, palm oil that was sold in most places were in blocks...which my friend said is not the same as palm olein (it was pure palm oil). If you don't know, buy some and forget to shake it when you melt it down, you may end up with a softer-than-normal soap coz the stearic acid would have settled on the bottom, blah, blah. :)

The soap won't stain the skin, but it will stain silicone utensils and molds when you are making it. Plus, if you use more than 10% you will have colored lather. And it makes things a gold/yellow color, not orange like the oil itself. I use it straight on my hair and have learned to be careful because the oil will stain countertops, walls, clothes, etc.

Would you mind elaborating on how you use it on your hair? Do you treat it like a deep conditioner? Leave it in a few minutes, then rinse?

Thanks.

Would you mind elaborating on how you use it on your hair? Do you treat it like a deep conditioner? Leave it in a few minutes, then rinse?

Thanks.

Palm oil is actually the main ingredient in Ojon hair oil--that's where I got the idea. I use it mixed with some Rosemary EO & avocado oil, daily on my (extremely curly & dry) hair and scalp--but sparingly because it will stain anything it drips on. I also add it to my conditioner to make it a deep conditioner. I've noticed my hair sheds a lot less.

Back