Palm oil alternatives to this recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyFox

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about making my favourite recipe palm-free. I got this recipe from Voyageur's website (link here) way back when I first started making soap and it's served me well! It's a nice hard bar with lovely soft lather and feels pretty moisturizing overall. I'm wondering what I could substitute for the palm oil if I want to make it palm-free. Babassu oil seems like a good choice but it's much too expensive for me.

Here's the recipe...

25% Coconut oil
32% Palm oil
36% Sunflower oil
7% Shea butter

Any suggestions? :) Oh, and I'm hoping not to use lard or tallow as I have had people tell me they're glad I don't use any animal products in the soap.

Hi everyone,

Any suggestions? :) Oh, and I'm hoping not to use lard or tallow as I have had people tell me they're glad I don't use any animal products in the soap.

If they only knew how awesome lard is in soap...*sigh*
I believe babassu is a replacement for coconut oil and is even more drying so I’m not sure you’d want to use that given the 25% co already in the recipe. Hmmmmm...I say lard...lol. I’m sorry, I’m no help. I say change their mind... give them a small sample of a soap with lard and see How they like it! It’s really pretty awesome!

I'm a bit of a neophyte here, but two interesting things came up when I formulated a similar question: rapeseed wax and soya wax. I have ordered the soyawax (not organic but non-OGM), and I'm very disappointed that soapcalc does not have rapeseed wax on its list of ingredients. I tried to send them a message, but it bounced. The sex appeal of either of those words in France - either colza or soja - is pretty near zero, but I'm going to plough ahead, and hope that the soap itself meets the approval of my friends...

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about making my favourite recipe palm-free. I got this recipe from Voyageur's website (link here) way back when I first started making soap and it's served me well! It's a nice hard bar with lovely soft lather and feels pretty moisturizing overall. I'm wondering what I could substitute for the palm oil if I want to make it palm-free. Babassu oil seems like a good choice but it's much too expensive for me.

Here's the recipe...

25% Coconut oil
32% Palm oil
36% Sunflower oil
7% Shea butter

How about Shea Butter? It's not a perfect substitute like Tallow or Lard would be. But it is a nice hard oil when you need a non-animal product substitute.

Hi everyone,

Here's the recipe...

25% Coconut oil
32% Palm oil
36% Sunflower oil
7% Shea butter

Try rice bran

Babassu is not a sub for Palm oil. It’s a sub for Coconut. Ya will need to play on a soap calculator and I would start by asking Shea and or cocoa butter. It will take some work. Could also try soy wax. I have no experience with that so no help.

If they only knew how awesome lard is in soap...*sigh*
I believe babassu is a replacement for coconut oil and is even more drying so I’m not sure you’d want to use that given the 25% co already in the recipe. Hmmmmm...I say lard...lol. I’m sorry, I’m no help. I say change their mind... give them a small sample of a soap with lard and see How they like it! It’s really pretty awesome!
The thing about babassu is that it is incredibly deceptive in how it feels. In soap, if feels like a million bucks and I have yet to regret ever using it in soap but, unlke coconut oil, I have had to cap that oil to 20% because of its cleansing qualities. I feel that it is more gentle than coconut oil but it really is a tad more harsh (just a little bit). Still, it is great to use in combination with coconut oil if you ever decide to splurge. Just keep the total cleansing oil amount to 20%.

I started using soy wax a few months ago and I really like it. I originally wanted to use it for the hardness it contributes to soap, but I was surprised to find out it also adds really good lather. I think many people here use it at 20%. I've found that even 10% adds harness and lather.

Thanks all! Really good info here. I wouldn't be adverse to trying lard myself, but hearing the people I sell it to say "I'm glad you don't use animal products!" really makes me hesitant that using it would put people off!

Soy wax is an interesting idea. Is that the same as is used for candles?

I already use shea butter in my recipe, and I'd be hesitant to use too much in place of the palm as it doesn't contribute to lather or hardness (according to soapqueen anyway, heh). Maybe I should just stick with palm but use an organic version... it's so hard to find that perfect replacement.

Thanks all! Really good info here. I wouldn't be adverse to trying lard myself, but hearing the people I sell it to say "I'm glad you don't use animal products!" really makes me hesitant that using it would put people off!

I already use shea butter in my recipe, and I'd be hesitant to use too much in place of the palm as it doesn't contribute to lather or hardness (according to soapqueen anyway, heh). Maybe I should just stick with palm but use an organic version... it's so hard to find that perfect replacement.
Sometimes if not many times Soapqueen is wrong. I have a soap that I use 59% Shea with 12% CO 1.1% Sorbitol with 0.5% EDTA and Sodium Gluconate. It is a long-lasting bar that lathers really well after a 4-month cure. This is a bar I make as a facial bar but I have been using one as a bar of hand soap and it is wonderful. BTW I love Palm in soap and have absolutely not quilt feelings using it.

Sometimes if not many times Soapqueen is wrong. I have a soap that I use 59% Shea with 12% CO 1.1% Sorbitol with 0.5% EDTA and Sodium Gluconate. It is a long-lasting bar that lathers really well after a 4-month cure. This is a bar I make as a facial bar but I have been using one as a bar of hand soap and it is wonderful. BTW I love Palm in soap and have absolutely not quilt feelings using it.

That's interesting, and good to know. I probably won't use that much % shea butter anyway as it's on the more expensive side for me. I don't have any particular qualms about palm oil myself because I do have a sustainably sourced brand (supposedly) but some people in my circles have raised concerns about it so that's why I'm looking into alternatives.

When I first tried rapeseed wax, I tried it at 20% and hated it. It was too hard, too drying and felt a bit coarse. I've recently been experimenting with it again at 5% but haven't tried a bar yet.
I also use shea butter at 20% because I love how it feels! I agree with PJ that you can always increase the olive oil to increase the hardness of your bars. Unfortunately the hardness isn't reflected in the lye calculators and it does require a longer cure time and it takes longer to unmold. But some people don't like high olive oil recipes because of slimy feeling they can have.

Last edited:
In general, it is not the same as used for candles - as they are often still adding parrafin. I think you need to go towards the organic candle supplier people. I found one here in France:
https://www.latitudenature.com/prod...r-bougies-container-parfumees-ou-non-/120207/It's OGM-free. And 100% pure soya wax.
I am sure you will find one in Canada, but I had to call L'Atitude Nature to make sure it was 100% hydrogenated and 100% pure soya wax. I can't give any feedback on the final product as I just made my first batch with it last night! But it seemed to go well and the soap looks fine - in fact very similar in every way to normal...

Back