Palm Kernel Oil and Palm Kernel Flakes??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NameThatCandy

Reaction score
Hi there,

What is the difference between Palm Kernel Oil and Palm Kernel Flakes? I looked at several soap supplies websites, there are a big price difference between them.

thanks

I buy PKO in a 50 pound box. It comes in a large, heavy block. I chip it out with a chisel. Works fine for me.
When you buy flakes, it means somebody else has done the chipping for you.

PK oil is very hard, so I doubt you would ever be able to buy a pourable version of it. If it was liquid, I'd be suspicious of what else is in it, unless you buy it hot! :?

It makes good, hard soap with lots of lather, but is drying by itself, so needs to be mixed with a 'soft' oil for good soap.

I have made 50-50 olive/pko soap, and it was pretty good too.

I buy PKO from Columbus foods. I buy it by the gallon or 7 pounds. I need to buy it in the flake form from them in the 50 pound box. I think it is $1 per pound, great price. Like Woodi said, there is not a liquid palm kernel oil, it would be melted too be in liquid form. There is a soft liquidity palm oil though. These are 2 different oils used for different purposes in soap.

Paul.. :wink:

LOL! I BUY MINE HOT!

When I get it.. its usually summer here... and its ummm 110-116 degrees here..

sometimes when I get it local.. she melts it down for me..

My Bad... I was thinking of myself..

But yes those are the difference.. thanks guys!

I was laughing at myself at the imagined thought of the poor UPS man bringing my box of hot PKO to the door. Anway, I buy the 50 pound box from Columbus Foods too. After chipping at it for awhile, I take the rest and pop it in the freezer, then take it outside and drop it. Shatters into more managable chunks that way.

Just checked CF and the flakes are $1.12 per pound verses $.92 per pound for the solid 50 pounds. So Mike gets 20 cents per pound or $10.00 to drop it over and over and over to get it into those flakes! :lol:

The flakes are worth the 10 bucks to me. I just started using Babassu Oil from them. I really like it. I'm doing a 50% coconut oil, 25% PKO, and 25% Babassu Oil combo as my bubbly cleaning oils in my recipe. Of course, I do use 31 to 34% of these oils in my best recipes! I like big bubbles, what can I say? It's a guy thing! :lol:

Paul :wink:

thank you everyone.

I have a 2lb pko at home, so it is not a problem for me to chip by myself. But i can imagine that if I had a 50 lb like you guys, I will definitely buy the flakes one.

Looking for palm oil local supplier in Raleigh, NC

I have been making CP and CP OP soaps. I am looking for a local supplier for palm oil in Raleigh, NC.

I just soaped with PKO for the first time today. I'm eager to see how it turns out. I have it in flake form. Very easy to use!

NameThatCandy said:
thank you everyone.

I have a 2lb pko at home, so it is not a problem for me to chip by myself. But i can imagine that if I had a 50 lb like you guys, I will definitely buy the flakes one.

If you have a salad shooter you can put your chunks there and make your own flakes. I put it in the freezer so it doesn't melt from the friction of the shooter.

Latest posts

Back