Palm Kernel Flakes vs. Palm Kernel Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewDM

Reaction score
Wholesales Supplies Plus sells Palm Kernel Flakes but not Palm Kernel Oil. Is there any difference?

Yes, there is a difference. The flakes are hydrogenated. If you look at the properties on soapcalc you can see the difference.

As for which is better, unless you want to chisel off what you need I would say get the flakes. The ease of use is worth it.

Do NOT order them in hot weather.

Palm kernel flakes = hydrogenated palm kernel oil.
Hydrogenated PKO has considerably more stearic acid which makes a harder soap and also accelerates trace.

Last edited:
Palm Kernel oil flakes has noticeably more Stearic and less Oleic.
My rule of thumb is to add Palmitic & Stearic to make "True Hardness"
PKOF TH = 24
PKO TH = 10

Palm kernel oil Flakes
Lauric 49
Myristic 17
Palmitic 8
Stearic 16
Ricinoleic 0
Oleic 4
Linoleic 0
Linolenic 0

Palm kernel oil
Lauric 49
Myristic 16
Palmitic 8
Stearic 2
Ricinoleic 0
Oleic 15
Linoleic 3
Linolenic 0

I've made a couple of batches where I sub half of the CO in my recipe for Palm kernel flakes and I'm not a fan! It seems drying and hard to lather. Anyone else or is it just me?

That's exactly why I wanted to try it and I don't have sensitive skin... So now I'm wondering if it's the actual bag of flakes that's the problem.,

Also looking at the numbers, I wonder if pkof is a better option for shaving soaps than the co.......?

I have used PKOF in shaving soaps, and it yields an excellent result. I don't like using palm products, but it does work well. The lather in the PKOF soap was marginally more cushioning than that from coconut oil, but not enough for me to continue using it.

Back