Palm Kernal oil with coffee smell?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissBee

Reaction score
Ages ago I purchased palm kernel oil from a vendor through Amazon. I can't recall the brand name. I soaped with it successfully and it had a beige color with mild coffee smell to it.

I recently wanted to try a soap with palm kernel oil again and purchased from Columbus Foods. This stuff is white. I can't seem to find anywhere that suggests palm kernal oil smelling like coffee whatsoever.

So...did I really have palm kernel oil before?

Hi MissBee!

Palm kernel oil is white and odorless (at least the refined kind is).

It sounds like you may have bought something called 'coffee butter', which is a mix of coffee bean oil and a vegetable fat that has been hydrogenated (usually coconut oil, but other hydrogenated veggie fats can be used, too). I'm thinking that you may have bought some coffee butter that was made by mixing coffee oil with hydrogenated PKO.

IrishLass :)

What a bummer! I wonder if the company mislabeled it, as it was sold and labeled as unrefined palm kernel oil. :cry:

My soap still lathered great, as I was using it in place of coconut oil. I'll have to see how my new batches turn out with the real palm kernel oil. I guess that should be more fun, as now I don't know what to expect my soap to be like!

This vendor seems to think Unrefined PKO smells like coffee

Ages ago I purchased palm kernel oil from a vendor through Amazon. I can't recall the brand name. I soaped with it successfully and it had a beige color with mild coffee smell to it.

I recently wanted to try a soap with palm kernel oil again and purchased from Columbus Foods. This stuff is white. I can't seem to find anywhere that suggests palm kernal oil smelling like coffee whatsoever.

So...did I really have palm kernel oil before?

Hm. I have never used pko. I love coffee though. Someone order some and let me know if it smells like coffee

This also makes me more curious about what difference people see in their soaps with unrefined/refined versions of different fats. I've always just stuck to whichever one was cheapest. :think:

Back