Pain relief

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soaping mom

Reaction score
My mom has pain every night in her feet, she says it feels like needles picking her feet, and she’s waking up because if it. Does anyone have a pain cream recipe using menthol crystals

She might have a condition called plantar fasciitis. She can get relief by going to a shoe store that sells inserts to put in her shoes to relieve the pain.

Also, a foot bath with Epsom Salts before going to bed might help. Good luck!

if it is plantar fasciitis it get worse at night and in the morning esp. if she sits down and rolls a tennis ball around with her feet it helps that and when I had it my chiro gave me a bandage that was called the figure 8 that really helped mine it was an ace type bandage that wrapped around the foot like a figure 8. and or try CBD ointment

It can be neuropathy. I read that it can give symptoms like you describe. I had neuropathy just recently that in my arm. It did not hurt but it went numb. I visited the doctor and he took some blood tests. A week later I got a letter saying I had to take folic acid, and he had sent me a prescription. I googled and folic acid deficiency can give neuropathy. I now have to take those pills every day, and the neuropathy went away.

Lack of folic acid is one one of several causes for neuropathy. If she have not done so already, she should visit the doctor first, before trying allsorts of creams.

I googled and landed on a norwegian forum where people ask doctors about diseases they have. The doctor give a long answer about medication to try, but he also mention a cream if the medication don't work: "Capsaicin cream 0.075% 3-4 times a day is another alternative". Capsaicin is the substance that makes chili peppers hot.

But go to the doctor first and foremost to find out what it is and where it comes from and what to do with it. Then use creams or other things in addition to medical treatment, as long as it is safe (many things can not be combined with prescription medication, and can in worst case be very dangerous. But pharmacists know what is safe to combine and what's not, so just ask at a pharmacy).

If it is neuropathy, it can perhaps be treated for good, depending on what the cause of the neuropathy is. If it is possible to treat and not only ease symptoms, it is important to do it as soon as possible to avoid permanent nerve damage.

See a doctor - nerve pain/tingling in feet can be indicative of a serious health issues and those need to be tested for first, before treating the symptoms IMHO.
The doctor can also be used to review your Mom's medicines (some medicines have unusual side effects, so if your Mom has started taking a new medicine, it would be worth mentioning that to the doctor too).

Having said that, my experience based opinion is:
Vitamin B's (folic acid, or B12, and pyridoxine, or B6) are not made by the body and are essential for nerve function, so those are good to take for neuropathy (do not exceed the recommended amount - more is not better).

Magnesium oil (Magnesium chloride), 70% solution (or similar) as a topical rub will decrease the pain associated with the tingles (just a couple of drops will do) - this also helps with muscle cramps (by blocking the the pain and stopping the cramp). BTW, it will feel oily (hence it's name) on application, then slightly salty (like concentrated sea water) after it soaks in :)).

Capsaicin* (as per Rune) works by helping blood flow (mostly in the skin, if applied topically) and desensitizing the nerves by initially causing pain itself (that warm/hot feeling). The reduction in pain is not immediate, but takes effect after a few applications. *Don't put it on broken skin

Both neuropathic and blood flow issues can be helped by keeping the feet warm during sleep. This can be helped by heating the feet in a tub of hot water before bed, drying them and immediately putting warm socks on (before the feet cool down again). Marilyn's compression bandage would also help keep the feet warm in bed.

(I wouldn't use menthol on feet before bed if there are neuropathy/nerve damage or blood flow issues - it's too cooling)

Last edited:
I am a nurse and I always advocate seeing a doctor for anything such as this. Minor aches and pains are one thing, but this does not sound at all like an insignificant symptom to be treated lightly.

Tingling in the feet as you describe it, is a symptom of peripheral neuropathy, which is very serious.

My MIL had peripheral neuropathy in her feet several years ago and refused to talk to her doctor about it for several months. It wasn't until after she had a stroke and was hospitalized that it was discovered that she had developed gangrene in one of her feet as a result. She lost her leg and has been an amputee for several years now.

I don't care how much she resists going to the doctor, I encourage you to do everything you can to get her seen and treated as soon as possible. My husband and I regret that his mother did not confide in us what was going on so we could have done the same for her. At least your mother has told you about it, so you have the opportunity to take appropriate action.

First of all, Rune, I just want to say that you write very well for someone who has English as a second language.
"Capsaicin cream 0.075% 3-4 times a day is another alternative". Capsaicin is the substance that makes chili peppers hot.
Capsaicin is a common naturally-sourced ingredient in many creams of this type. Unfortunately, here in the USA, doctors tend to prescribe steroids more often than not. So many patients aren't aware of the dangers of taking steroids on a regular basis.
,,,(many things can not be combined with prescription medication, and can in worst case be very dangerous. But pharmacists know what is safe to combine and what's not, so just ask at a pharmacy).
Good advice. This is SO true. Doctors here don't keep up with such things. Our next door neighbor is a pharmacist. She says doctors call her all the time seeking help on what drug to prescribe next if one drug isn't working or had negative effects.

Latest posts

Back