Packaging

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevvy

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have been practising wrapping my M&P soaps in cling wrap. And I have given up as my 10 year old daughter could do better. I have read you can wrap in Cello, does this mean like a bag shape with a ribbon around top?? And can I cheat and use Organza Bags instead.

Thanks from a fustrated wrapper.

The point is you need the bars to be air tight so they do not shrink or get sticky. You can drop them in a cello bag & tie it w/ ribbon, etc. If you place it in organza it will not be air tight & depending on the humidity it will either shrivel buy the water content evaporating or get sticky by the glycerin pulling moisture out of the air & to the surface of the bar.

With the saran all you do is pull 2 opposite sides very tight & place tape across it, then pull the other 2 sides tight & place tape again. Your label can *hide* the tape.

I could NEVER get cling wrap to work...I'd always pull to tight and rip it. While finding packaging supplies at Wal Mart, I found this one stuff that is for wrapping around boxes. It is really stretchy and the size is PERFECT! Thw width is about 5 inches and you just trim off what you need. No more trying to cut shapes out of cling wrap!

But I use a Low sweat MP now and use paper instead...

Shrink wrap.

I get rolls of it at the craft store...or WSP has shrink wrap bags that you can slip a bar of soap into, tape it shut and use a heat gun or hair dryer.

Thanks. how and wear do I put the hair dryer :?
Can't U just tell I'm a newbie :)

If you put it in shrink wrap you lightly go over it from all angles w/ the hair dryer, hold it 4-6 inches away depending on the heat of the dryer & the thickness of the wrap.

I use a hot heat gun on my shrink wrap. I have to hold it about 5 inches away and move very fast or I can easily burn holes in it. I have been doing it long enough, I have a system worked out now. It took a while to get it figured out though. I like shrink wrap for my soap.

Paul

I use shrink wrap with a heat gun as well. It works great but like Paul said you have to work fast and steady. Be especially careful if your wrapping M&P as it tends to melt easily when you apply heat.

I've been struggling with the saran wrap, too. :(
I appreciate all the great answers!

If you want, and are afraid, like I was the first time I used shrink wrap on my MP soap, you can put your soap in the freezer for about 15 min before you wrap it, then heat it. NOTHING MELTED!! WWWWHHHHEEEEEE

Shrink Wrap

I did my first shrink-wrapping of my M&P soaps last night. It went ok once I got the hang of it. It was fun watching the shrinking. Just remember to overlap well. I put my hair dryer on the hottest setting & held it 4 or 5 in. away & kept moving it all the time as I went. The soap warmed up, but never melted anywhere.

I think my soaps will look real good once I get my band labels on. The ends of the band labels are going to meet on the back where the shrink wrap meets, then I'll add a "Handmade" sticker to hold the label closed.

I'm still designing my band label... It's fun, but designing is real work for me since I'm not an artist. :roll:

Mandy

not all cling wrap is created equal. :wink:

i find sam's club cling wrap to work the best for me, it has more elasticity.

plus it takes practice. i start by laying the wrap over the top of the soap and slightly stretching, then slowly stretch each side till done. i have also seen some mp soapers lay the cling wrap over the top slightly stretching it and then sorta twirling/twisiting the wrap, cutting off the excess and taping down ( i think this is how bath and body works mp is wrapped, then they cover it with a label).

coarse it is always easier if the soap is a basic shape.

barb

True, the cheaper the wrap, the thinner & the easier to work with. Good point.

Back