packaging soaps

Discussion in 'Labels and Packaging' started by pik, May 16, 2019 at 10:49 AM.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. May 16, 2019 at 10:49 AM #1

pik

pik

pik

We want to prepare a try me box for our first soaps and want to give friends a small box with samples of our soap.

I have a question - how do we contain the smell of each individual soap? Is there a tissue-wrap special paper we can use to wrap each soap bar? Or are we over-thinking this?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sue

2. May 16, 2019 at 12:53 PM #2

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Over thinking............. if this just for friends then it wouldn't really matter.
    Just wrap each in something like wax paper or maybe even coffee filter?

3. May 16, 2019 at 7:50 PM #3

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I would wrap in saran wrap (cling film, whatever name floats your boat) and hit it with a hair dryer. [I mean, turn the air dryer on high to cause the cling film to shrink around the soap, please don't abuse the soap by literally hitting it] Or quicker just wrap in a plastic sandwich baggie. I tend to go to towards plastic rather than wax paper or coffee filter for better keeping scents from mingling, but go with whatever floats your ecofriendly heart. Most of the time if the scents mingle, they'll go back to their true scent fairly quickly after being separated. I would only worry if you're putting large amounts (I'm talking 50+ bars) of different scented soaps together. If you're putting together 4 or 5 bars, I wouldn't worry about it.

earlene likes this.
  4. May 18, 2019 at 7:25 PM #4

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Susie, like, amd says, shrink wrapping helps keep the fragrance in. I have used plastic food wrap with a blow dryer just to test it out and it does work, but I'd add an air hole to allow for a bit of a 'sniffy hole'. A little pin prick or a small slit with scissors is sufficient and it won't lead to scent loss.

What process are you using to make your soaps? If they are Melt & Pour, then you can shrink wrap fairly soon, although I think there are a couple of MP bases that do better if left out to the air for a bit first (I don't recall which ones those are, though). But Cold Process soap needs sufficient air flow to cure, so immediate shrink wrapping is not a good idea. HP soap if made with a lot of water to keep it fluid will need sufficient air flow as well, so I would wait at least 4 weeks before shrink wrapping either CP or HP soaps.

ShannonAll likes this.
  5. May 18, 2019 at 11:13 PM #5

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

KISS -- Keep it Simple Sweetie... In a recent swap with another soaper, we both just used brown paper bags... like the ones used for wine bottles... just the right size for a bar of soap... ingredients were hand written on the bags.