Packaging soaps to sell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dianne70

Reaction score
Hi there everyone.....I need some feedback please. Currently looking at changing my packaging for my soaps. Currently I just use a paper cigar band, but I would like to know your thoughts on some other ways.
1. Aponi, from this forum, uses organza bags. This is what I am leaning towards...tried it out and with a hang tag I think it would look very professional.
2. Shrink wrap. Can anyone who shrink wraps their soap tell me if they have any issues with the soap sweating inside it, if left for a long time?

These are the 2 I'm mostly interested in...the organza bag looks really nice, the customer can sill see and smell it, it can still breathe. Shrink wrapping is an option, but with more then likely a label on the back and front you wouldn't be able to see the soap.....or sniff it!......and there is my sweating concern.

Anyone out there with thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :D

Thanks for replying Paillo.....if only I lived in the USA!! I have found somewhere in Australia that I can get them for 20 cents each...this is the cheapest I have found so far.....most places are 50 cents to 1 dollar! I figured that hopefully if I can get them for 20 cents, then maybe I can do the whole packaging thing for about 50 cents a soap, by the time I add on the label costs.....this is not too bad :D

I like the look of organza bags. But I'm concerned the soap might rub inside it and make the bag look "dirty". Does anyone have any experience with using bags?

That's a concern I think. If I was going to do this for say a market, I was going to have about 5 ready in bags, and then bag them as I need to when I need to restock the display.....if you get what I mean. I was only thinking of using white bags which would also lend themselves to getting dirty quicker I think......oh its too hard!! I really do like the look of the organza bag, but there is a lot to consider before I change :)

I actually don't use organza bags because I'm afraid they'll rub and look dirty, but I love the look of them. I'd guess you'd be fine sending these for mail order, packaging them up as needed. Good idea about packaging them up at a market only when you're low on stock. And now I'm remembering one lovely shop, which unfortunately had a lot of foot traffic, wind and dust, and a lot of space open to the air. The soaps packaged in organza bags had picked up a lot of dust and didn't look good.

I use cello bags ribboned up with label on bottom, they're easy on the handling and easy to just blow any dust off. Would love to use something more attractive, like the organza bags, but just haven't wanted to tempt fate when I'm carting them back and forth to markets. Seems like there's no perfect solution here...

Thanks for the links Hazel......looked at most of these at some stage or another......I love the look of some of the packaging....problem is finding something that looks good, does the job, and is cost effective! Shrink wrapping is an alternative, but I'm unsure about the sweating factor...live in a humid climate, especially in Summer, and would hate to think of the soaps having a little sauna inside the packaging!! :D

would hate to think of the soaps having a little sauna inside the packaging!! :D

Yes, I can understand how this might be a problem. :lol:

You had mentioned about having 5 bars for display and then bagging them as you sell them. This is just a thought - have you considered storing soap in muslin? Below is a link to Soapsmith's DOS experiment which you might find interesting if you haven't already read it.

http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/blog_post/Soapsmith/136/soapsmith_s_dos_experiment

Suggestion - display an unwrapped bar of each type of soap and have the rest in muslin bags or another type of 100% cotton material. You could stamp the bags with your logo and info for marketing purposes. I used to make bags, stamp them and then add paint, glitter, etc to make them fancy. They were quite nice if I do say so myself but time consuming. However, I made them for gifts so I wasn't concerned about the amount of time.

I use the muslin bags with a label with my logo/ soap inform on front. I then put some decorative colored raffia around the top. I used to use the organza but it did get dirty and if you are at a fair hurrying to put your soaps in bags while customers are at your tent is a pain. It looks rustic and no you can't see the soap but it can breather and they can smell the product. They cost slightly more than your organza bags. If your customer needs to see the soap I put a sample on the table by the displayed item. Most times they just care about the smell and what I put in the soap.

The place where I I used to buy soaps from used pieces of cotton fabric and a paper label to wrap hers in. She would pick out fabric themes that matched the soap scents and they are attractive and let the soap breathe still. I can find the website for them if you would like.

you say you use shrink wrap right, I think if i'm right after a while it does tend to "sweat", try the organza bags or even tissue paper, or waxed paper and hand made paper :)

I wouldn't recommend tissue paper if there's the possibility the soap will sweat. It would seep into the tissue paper and be a mess. Also, I was sent some soap which the person had wrapped in wax paper. Most were okay but I had a hard time peeling the wax paper off a one of them. It almost appeared the wax paper had adhered to the soap. I don't know if she wrapped it too soon or if it was something involving the recipe she used. So, you might want to test wax paper on each different soap to make sure it comes off easily.

Handmade paper would be nice to wrap with but again there might be issues with the soap sweating while packaged.

I'm moving towards muslin bags too... biodegradable, unbleached and breathable and suit my rustic/eco look. I found a place that'll print a logo on a bag for quite cheap... but overseas... so undecided. I think they look very elegant and understated though. I would probably tie them with a piece of co-ordinating tartan ribbon and put a business card inside.

I did have some soaps wrapped in tissue paper, and some of them did sweat and adhere to the paper, which is why I was concerned about the shrink wrap! Thanks everyone...will check out the prices of muslin bags......I love this forum, and all the advice you get. It's priceless
:D

Back