Packaging Ideas?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ready to find new packaging for the pull through soaps I’ve been making, but could work for other odd shaped soaps too, hearts, ovals, poops, etc... I’ve been using tissue paper and stickers I print to wrap my soaps. That’s what I could get cheap, and it’s worked ok. Thinking forward I’d like to rethink how I wrap them. They are kind of an awkward shape. Here’s what I’m hoping for:
*To be able to see the soap, it’s pretty.
*biodegradable is a must.
*not too bulky, to fit in packaging for mailing.

Attachments

• 9A466435-B4ED-4E90-A773-B08AF44D51BE.jpeg
    9A466435-B4ED-4E90-A773-B08AF44D51BE.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 22
  • F75F3CA1-D966-4445-98DE-22645A8C4773.jpeg
    F75F3CA1-D966-4445-98DE-22645A8C4773.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 8E54BEEE-1413-4C45-9A75-F5FDA832B58B.jpeg
    8E54BEEE-1413-4C45-9A75-F5FDA832B58B.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 20
Coffee filters with round sticker-labels work very well for round soaps, and are cheap and biodegradable. But they aren't see-through. I can see where that would be important if you were vending at a craft fair, but is that a must for soaps that are being mailed out as part of an order based on what the buyer has already seen online? They might also work for some of the odd-shaped soaps, but probably not all of them.

@shunt2011 I just ordered some biodegradable shrink wrap. Any tips? Do I need to let it cure longer, or be aware of anything like that? Can you still smell the soap through the wrap? Could I poke a small hole for smell?

@AliOop Thanks for the video!

@TheGecko Would shrink wrapping melt the soap?

No, because you're not applying that much heat. As noted by @AliOop, you can use a blow dryer set on high as opposed to an actual 'heat gun', though it will take a little longer. And shrink wrap comes in a variety of widths and lengths and there are entire 'systems'.

@shunt2011 I just ordered some biodegradable shrink wrap. Any tips? Do I need to let it cure longer, or be aware of anything like that? Can you still smell the soap through the wrap? Could I poke a small hole for smell?

@AliOop Thanks for the video!

I use shrink bags from papermart. I poke a hole in it for smelling and it also keeps the bags from popping when shrinking. I use a heat sealer to seal the top of the bag.

I shrink wrap all my soaps. For my sniffers, I burn (for lack of a better word) a hole in one side of the wrap (that way, I can still disinfect without damaging the bar). I've never had an issue with my heat gun melting or damaging the soap in any way.
I’m looking at a compostable film called Biolefin which is supposedly smell through.
The shrink wrap systems are a bit over my budget right now, researching as a probable option in the future.
To test it out, and similar to the tissue paper I have been wrapping them in, I bought a roll of biodegradable cling wrap.

I’m looking at a compostable film called Biolefin which is supposedly smell through.
The shrink wrap systems are a bit over my budget right now, researching as a probable option in the future.
To test it out, and similar to the tissue paper I have been wrapping them in, I bought a roll of biodegradable cling wrap.
I hear you re the shrink wrap systems. It might be worthwhile to check auction sites. My boss picked up a shrink wrap system (table top with two rolls of wrap), almost brand new, for $100. It was too small for us to use at the shop (I work in a print shop) so I offered to buy it from him for the amount he paid for it.

I've looked into biodegradable cling wrap recently, I believe from a company called OXO or XOX - something like that. Right now, I'm using regular shrink wrap because I needed it in a pinch. Do you mind reposting after using the cling wrap to let us know how it worked?

Thanks!

I hear you re the shrink wrap systems. It might be worthwhile to check auction sites. My boss picked up a shrink wrap system (table top with two rolls of wrap), almost brand new, for $100. It was too small for us to use at the shop (I work in a print shop) so I offered to buy it from him for the amount he paid for it.
Which auction sites?

I've looked into biodegradable cling wrap recently, I believe from a company called OXO or XOX - something like that. Right now, I'm using regular shrink wrap because I needed it in a pinch. Do you mind reposting after using the cling wrap to let us know how it worked?

Thanks!
I will! I got it on amazon for $8. Looks like regular cling wrap, but compostable. I’ve got several batches of pretty soaps coming up soon that I’m excited to try it with. Could be an interim option. Will report back!

Shrink wrap works extremely well for my heart shaped soaps and various other oddly shaped soaps. If you want a large scale supplier of biodegradable shrink wrap, look for biolefin (here or here).
The “system” is much cheaper on Nova than on National! Was looking to see if I could piece it together cheaper. Might not even need a heat gun, sounds like I could use a hair dryer. I mean, eventually it would pay off to have the right tools for the job!

Latest posts

Back