Packaging for Hard Lotion Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbailey

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I was planning on giving some hard lotion bars away to some friends and family for Christmas. I bought a shallow 2 oz. silver tin and poured my lotion into it... however, it had a lip on it so you cannot just flip the lotion bar into your hand. Does anyone have a solution? Or does anyone know of a place where you can buy the tins without an inside lip?
Thank You!

a LONG LONG LONG time ago i got those tins without a lip and sliced my fingers or hands on the fairly sharp edge several times. now, i haven't tried those lipless tins in probably ten years but check with a sample before you buy 125,000 of them.

all that said i don't even know where to get them.

I think you are supposed to pour them into small molds and then put them into the tins. Then you can get a cute design on them too!

Soapy Gurl said:
I think you are supposed to pour them into small molds and then put them into the tins. Then you can get a cute design on them too!

yep! this is what i do.

i use silicone muffin tins to do mine.

if you want to remelt your oils to get them out of the tin, i put mine on the oven and turn it on, the heat makes the top of the oven just warm enough to melt them. i have also used an electric tart warmer

Thanks Everyone! Hopefully I'm back on track! :)

-Carebear: what size tin do you put yours into then?

This is probably too late for xmas presents, but I do the same as the folks above, I use either silicone cupcake molds, miniature cake molds, or guest soap molds to make the lotion bars. When they are cool and solid, I take them out and put them into tins. I got them from SKS, I think the 2 oz ones if I remember correctly, and took them back to Italy with me (I have yet to find similar tins in the EU). Hope that helps!

fiddletree, I used to ship tins to a soaper (THE Olivia, to those who know of her) in germany - there don't seem to be any available in Europe.

Yes SKS is a great source - and yes, the 2 oz flat. They have a lip, so you cannot pour straight into them, but the lipless ones ARE sharp - and safety tops convenience which is why I'm happy to pour into guest soap molds.

carebear said:
fiddletree, I used to ship tins to a soaper (THE Olivia, to those who know of her) in germany - there don't seem to be any available in Europe.

Yes SKS is a great source - and yes, the 2 oz flat. They have a lip, so you cannot pour straight into them, but the lipless ones ARE sharp - and safety tops convenience which is why I'm happy to pour into guest soap molds.
ù

Yeah, I've searched everywhere and can't find them in the size I want. I found one company that imports those tins, but they cost 3x as much, and shipping alone with SKS to Italy is more than $500 for a case. I think I will pick up a case when I visit the US in two weeks....

But yeah, with guest soap molds you can make them pretty as well as useful! I like the little Milky Way Molds honeybee one (round), personally....

Does anyone wrap theirs in something before putting them in tins? I read somewhere, someone doing this.

Does anyone wrap theirs in something before putting them in tins? I read somewhere, someone doing this.

You would be best to start a new thread as this one is from 2011 and the posters are no longer here.

Back