Packaging decorative soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystikchik

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on wrapping decorative soaps? The odd shapes make it really hard to use plastic wrap without having a huge wad of plastic on th back of the soap. I've never tried using shrinkwrap before because I was always afraid the heat gun would melt the soap.

Hi Ya,I find when packaging my soaps, especially the ones with detail that I need to lay face down, I lay a folded hand towel flat on the table so the soap doesn't get damaged on a hard surface.

Also, if i'm still concerned about damage whilst packaging with the shrink wrap then I will wrap the soap in plastic wrap first and then with the shrink wrap.

When doing my flat bars I actually cut the shrink wrap to size and wrap the soap as if I were wrapping a gift using clear tape to fasten, the label on the back covers the joins of the plastic and then I use the heat gun to shrink the shrink wrap, I like to put my heat gun on low heat and hold it about 25-30 cm away from the soap. By the time it's all finished it looks very neat and doesn't melt the soap. :D

I love to experiment with packaging and haven't settled on one thing yet... but I have found that Dollar Tree has rolls of tulle for $1 (it's the dollar store you know), and I have wrapped soaps in this and tied a bow at the top.

Dollar Tree (it's my favorite, can you tell?) also has little pillar holders in two colors (bronze and white) and they are perfect for a single bar of soap and could serve as a soap dish. I wrap in cellophane sheets and put a sticker on the bottom to hold it. I use paper shreds (or make my own from grocery sacks with a crimper and shredder). I was a scrapbook junkie (before jewelry and soaps) and have lots of paper left over, so once I wrap the soap and dish with the cellophane, I also wrap about a 1/4" strip of paper around the soap and top off with one of my square stickers. The type of soap determines the type of paper/pattern I use.

I'm interested to see what others are doing... I'm new at this so still looking for ideas, too.

Back