Packaging Cold Process Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this while looking for something else... BOX LABEL

1663543562039.png
1663543632295.png
1663543600651.png

1663543754704.png
1663543776627.png

BAKERY TISSUE - SOAP WRAP - BOTTOM​

Last edited:
Awhile back, I tried some different papers for humid conditions. I was hoping the parchment paper would work because you could kind of see the color of the soap, but no tape/sticker would stick to it. Freezer paper worked the best as it has the waxy coating on the one side, but a little stiff. I've been using white grease resistant tissue from Nashville Wraps: Nashville Wraps and only wrap when ready to go out the door.

If you like the freezer paper, what might work (haven't tried it) is cutting it to 8.5 x 11 and use a printer to add the design you like on the non-waxy side?

Attachments

• packaging experiment summer 2017.jpg
    packaging experiment summer 2017.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Butcher paper in Australia is not waxy and not suitable for wrapping soap. Probably the same in India.
I agree. The only waxed paper we get here is the one used for baking, but that GSM isn't exactly suited for the kind of packaging I have in mind, with the tops showing. I need something thicker like tinted paper or card paper. So now my search is more informed! 🙂

I agree. The only waxed paper we get here is the one used for baking, but that GSM isn't exactly suited for the kind of packaging I have in mind, with the tops showing. I need something thicker like tinted paper or card paper. So now my search is more informed! 🙂
The waxed paper for baking is of no use in soaping for anything, best to keep away from that.

Hey everyone, another day, another learning opportunity (for me)
So, I made this batch last night and the batter riced, separated and seized on me. I quickly poured it into my mould (not knowing how else to save it) before it got unworkable.
And this morning I see that the soap seems to have hardened, but it has oil pooling on the top.

Questions:
1. Is this still fit for use?
2. Will the oil on top get re-absorbed?
3. Will this affect my cure time?
4. What could've caused this? I was doing a half and half layered batch, with the same fragrance in both- only different colours. The bottom layer seemed to behave itself. This is also my second batch with this fragrance oil, and it didn't give me trouble the first time around.

Hey everyone, another day, another learning opportunity (for me)
So, I made this batch last night and the batter riced, separated and seized on me. I quickly poured it into my mould (not knowing how else to save it) before it got unworkable.
And this morning I see that the soap seems to have hardened, but it has oil pooling on the top.

Questions:
4. What could've caused this? I was doing a half and half layered batch, with the same fragrance in both- only different colours. The bottom layer seemed to behave itself. This is also my second batch with this fragrance oil, and it didn't give me trouble the first time around.
*correction:
Last night it riced and seized. It didn't separate and I had stirred and stick blended it enough, so it wasn't a false trace. And temperatures were below 110°F.
This morning, it's separated.
This mor

Attachments

• 20220920_103613.mp4
    30.9 MB
Maybe, but not yet. Give it time.
That often is the case.
Maybe.
4. What could've caused this?
Without seeing a printout of the recipe, my guess is...
. I quickly poured it into my mould (not knowing how else to save it) before it got unworkable.
...when added, the fragrance needs to be stirred or SB'ed for one full minute to get fully incorporated.

I've gone back to shrink wrap as it keeps the soap tidy when people are handling them. I leave the ends open so the soap can breathe. I'm going to be experimenting with Polyolefin Shrink Film because it does allow the bar to breath, it's biodegradable & you can smell the bar through the wrap. I have some samples coming right now to play with. Pretty excited about it....
Am using polyolefin bags that I do not shrink around the soap. I do seal the open end of the bag. Have had multiple types of soap packaged for several months during summer and haven’t had any issues. Soap fragrance takes a few days for fragrance to come through polyolefin packaging. These bags were sourced at twowildhares on Etsy.

Attachments

• D916C954-B192-455C-82D4-4B481973CA08.jpeg
    D916C954-B192-455C-82D4-4B481973CA08.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 0
As for wrapping, I would say it depends on how you are going to sell them. I sold in several outdoor markets per week and paper, cigar bands or boxes simply did not hold up with all the packing and unpacking, and cigar bands and paper will become loose over time and become very shop-worn looking. Plus the fact that I took at least 40 different soaps to market at a time I simply got tired of wrapping. So I went to putting my label on the soap and shrink-wrapping them completely. I used end cuts for smell samples. I would have to cut a small corner hole when I sealed the shrink-wrapped and cut the excess so they would not balloon out when I shrink-wrapped them with my heat gun. This all took me about a minute per bar. While at my markets I could touch up loose shrink wrap if necessary with my smaller heat gun.

EDT: the best prices I found for shrinkwrap at Papermart.com

Last edited:
Update
Maybe, but not yet. Give it time.

That often is the case.

Maybe.

Without seeing a printout of the recipe, my guess is...

...when added, the fragrance needs to be stirred or SB'ed for one full minute to get fully incorporated
Update: I chopped off the problematic layer and kept it aside to be tossed into a hot-pot later. Bottom soap is the perfect texture and smells and looks great, so I'll be improvising with it.
Thank you for taking the time out to respond!

Update

Update: I chopped off the problematic layer and kept it aside to be tossed into a hot-pot later. Bottom soap is the perfect texture and smells and looks great, so I'll be improvising with it.
Thank you for taking the time out to respond!

Attachments

• 16637374899956477343289966420863.jpg
    16637374899956477343289966420863.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back