Packaging Cold Process Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlewis17

Reaction score
Could someone give me ideas on packaging my cold process soap? Which are better cigar bands, shrink wrap, shrink wrap bags, or paper? Also what is the best paper to use? It is the same paper you use for scrapbooking? Where do you buy your packing and labels? Please help!

Since CP soap needs to breathe, I wouldn't use shrink wrap.
You can use regular scrapbook paper or any paper for that matter to wrap your soap in.

Soapqueen has some cigar band .pdf's that you can download for free
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body- ... rap-it-up/

She's also got a post about packaging soap
http://www.soapqueen.com/business/so-yo ... -part-one/

There's a group on Flickr all about soap packaging
http://www.flickr.com/groups/soappackaging/

Here's a great post with soap packaging ideas
http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/s ... ideas.html

Genny,

Thanks so much for all your help! You are wonderful. This is very helpful. I'm still using your recipe too.

Debra

You can also use soft wash cloths. If I am making a gift box it comes as an extra. It also acts as a cushion against any rubbing that may occur in the box. Bramble Berry also sells the clear plastic boxes. I just packaged my soaps in them on Monday. Really neat looking and provides more stability for stacking them.

Do the clear boxes from brambleberry allow enough air in? I guess you could leave one end open. I wonder if these would work for my size bars I've been doing. Haveta check it out!

Hi Soapers, I was in my local textile store for ribbon and I noticed 'netting'.. I bought some to package my CP soaps because it allows the soap to breathe, customers can see it, touch it, and smell it.
I just cut a long rectangle shape, put soap in the middle, gathered the two ends up top and pinched together to tie with ribbon.. Its absolutely gorgeous. xx

Wow, thank you so much for those links - the flickr one is amazing - so many neat ideas for packaging!

I also use soap boxes, they are pretyy reasonable at wsp, they have a cutout in the front for the soap to breathe and so you can get a peek at what it looks like.

I've gone back to shrink wrap as it keeps the soap tidy when people are handling them. I leave the ends open so the soap can breathe. I'm going to be experimenting with Polyolefin Shrink Film because it does allow the bar to breath, it's biodegradable & you can smell the bar through the wrap. I have some samples coming right now to play with. Pretty excited about it....

Hello, I'm exhuming a recently deceased thread for clarification purposes, but also as irrefutable proof that I used the "search" function prior to opening my loud mouth..... :oops:

I've recently set up some arrangements to sell my soap at a couple of local retailers. They've asked me about packaging, and they aren't keen on the "cigar band" style. I'm reluctant to fully wrap my CP soap, as ppl repeat "CP has to breathe" online as if it were a holy mantra. So, I have a hand full of related questions:

-will CP soap fare well if it is wrapped entirely in (kraft) tissue paper?
-if it will, but "only when fully cured", how can one be 100% certain that one's CP soap is indeed fully cured? For most of my recipes, I wait 4 weeks before I use/sell any bars. (I often use lil scraps prior, as R&D.) Is that enough time? I tend to use at least 60% "hard" oils, and tend to use h2o at 33% of total oils, with a 5% superfat.
-If, instead, I use a dookie-fat "cigar" band for the soap, will the large % of surface area being covered lead to rancidity anyway?

Most ppl who buy soap from me so far want it with no packaging at all; those who insist on packaging tend to get their soap personally "delivered" by yours truly, typically loosely wrapped in tissue paper and/or tossed into a re-purposed shopping bag. (Yes, I am "that guy".) I sell mostly to friends, acquaintances, co-workers, and ppl who may secretly hate me. I've never been permanently/semi-permanently installed in a retail environment. I've been looking closely at what other soapers like to do, and most of it either seems inadequate or expensive. I like "good n cheap" whenever possible.

If you want to wrap it in tissue you can get some 'dry waxed' paper that is used by bakeries. You can find some HERE. You can also buy 'breathable' shrink wrap called Polyolefin Shrink Film which is available through National Shrink Wrap and you are going to want perforated. Another option are boxes which you can find through a few different suppliers:

There are just so many options available to you that you can take one and personalize it to suit your soap and your personality.

I tried out making some bands and they were big and covered almost the whole bar which seemed pretty protective but they got loose in 2 weeks. I almost wonder if soap ever stops shrinking and am not sure what weight to list. I guess whatever it is when you sell it less a little to be on the safe side? You don't know when people will use a soap, though. How long they'll just admire it or forget about it or do what my mom does. Puts in a drawer to scent whatever else is in there and "keep it nice."

I think it's fair to list the weight it is when you sell it. I know I've never weighed a product to see if it was exactly what was on the label.

Hi everyone, I'd like to wrap my soaps in paper. But I'm worried that the covers may end up looking like "blotting paper" for the face?😅
Is there a tendency for paper to suck oiliness out from the soap?

P.s. I'm fairly new at soaping, so please bear with my possibly stupid concern 🥲

Is there a tendency for paper to suck oiliness out from the soap?
2 things...
1) Be sure the CP soap is fully cured before wrapping.
2) Butcher paper is waxy inside ideal for soap.

That being said, I'm drawn to commercial soaps wrapped in paper. I've yet to find a pretty paper that is also grease proof. Something like this might work, but it's expensive and labor intensive.

Botanical Paper Wrapped Soap

I use cigar bands that completely wrap around the surface of the soap, leaving the ends open for sniffing. Cost 3¢ per bar.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-cigar-band-template.83837/

2 things...
1) Be sure the CP soap is fully cured before wrapping.
2) Butcher paper is waxy inside ideal for soap.

That being said, I'm drawn to commercial soaps wrapped in paper. I've yet to find a pretty paper that is also grease proof. Something like this might work, but it's expensive and labor intensive.

Botanical Paper Wrapped Soap

I use cigar bands that completely wrap around the surface of the soap, leaving the ends open for sniffing. Cost 3¢ per bar.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-cigar-band-template.83837/
Thank you so much for this! Noted ☺️

Latest posts

Back