Packaging affect curing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loran

Reaction score
It’s Christmas time! So I’m getting soaps ready to send to family and friends. The soap I am sending was made a couple weeks ago and some only a week ago. I’m leaving notes with the bars that they need to be decoration for a few weeks before use. I’m wondering if shrink wrapping them for packaging and shipping would affect the bars curing, being air can’t circulate around them. Will they be ok?

Shrink wrapping will not affect the curing per se other than maybe slow it down a tad. You can tell just by the shrinkage you will notice in the packaging. I generally add a note to unwrap and let the soaps air cure for x amount of time, if cure time is short.

Ok that’s good to know. They will be in package until opened on Christmas morning and then per instructions taken out and set on a shelf for decoration until finished curing. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shrink wrapping will not affect the curing per se other than maybe slow it down a tad. You can tell just by the shrinkage you will notice in the packaging. I generally add a note to unwrap and let the soaps air cure for x amount of time, if cure time is short.
Such good info'💫💞.

I would say plastic Will slow down curing.
We cure with bars spaced out and good airflow.

I tested some batches with how much room I need to leave between each bar and cure time.
Those closer together, about 1/4 " compared to 1" were much slower and I do a decent water discount.

I would never send out soaps before it is cured. You never know what other will do no matter what Note you put on them. I personally think a good soapmaker doesn't let a soap out the door till it is cured and fit for use. How will you know if something went wrong?
I had a batch go weird at 4 weeks, just didn't seem right even though it looked "ok" I could tell something wasn't right. At 4 Weeks !

This subject comes up every year

It’s Christmas time! So I’m getting soaps ready to send to family and friends. The soap I am sending was made a couple weeks ago and some only a week ago. I’m leaving notes with the bars that they need to be decoration for a few weeks before use. I’m wondering if shrink wrapping them for packaging and shipping would affect the bars curing, being air can’t circulate around them. Will they be ok?

They will be okay, but they will take twice as long to cure...maybe even longer. You might want to consider cutting off the ends.

I don't like to give out uncured soap because 1) I would dislike to be given something that I can't use for several weeks. I'd most likely put it somewhere out of sight and at my age, that's out of mind too. 2) I wouldn't want someone to decide they couldn't wait and then be disappointed in the quality of my gift.

They will be okay, but they will take twice as long to cure...maybe even longer. You might want to consider cutting off the ends.

I don't like to give out uncured soap because 1) I would dislike to be given something that I can't use for several weeks. I'd most likely put it somewhere out of sight and at my age, that's out of mind too. 2) I wouldn't want someone to decide they couldn't wait and then be disappointed in the quality of my gift.
I don’t feel toooooooooo horribly bad being it’s all my intermediate family and I did tell them to make sure it cures for a couple weeks after unwrapping and the longer the better. For sure though this is the only and last time I’ll be sending out soap that’s not fully cured. I’ve learned recently the difference between the soap I made 4 months ago vs the soap I cured a few weeks. It’s crazy how much better it gets!!!!

Latest posts

Back