Oxides and Ultramarine From Brambleberry....how much?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInPdx

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions, and I hope I'm not exploring old territory too much for most of the more experienced soapers here.

I just bought some green chrome oxide, some red oxide, and some ultramarine blue from Brambleberry. For those of you who use oxides....what is a good amount to start with. I've made a lot of soap with a lot of different fragrances, and other additives, but this is new territory for me.

Thanks,
Mike

I use the BB colors...The ultramarine blue is strong! I use about 1 tsp for a 2 pound batch to get a good medium blue.

Hope that helps atleast a little :wink:

perfectsoap said:
As little as you can! When I first used them my soap had colored suds!
Ahhhh....I don't want to make anyone into a blue meanie with my blue soap. I will be very careful.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

I start with 1/2 tsp per 2 lb of oils, then adjust to get darker, but too much will just bleed out into your suds. Blue suds on a white cloth is scarey to some people!! :D

I've never had blue suds....or any color for that matter....Even with the black oxide.

Be extra careful with red oxide. That sucker is strong! You would swear that you didn't use so much, but as you're lathering with your soap made with it, it bleeds right out and makes it seem like you're the one that is bleeding! Yikes! I don't like using that particular one anymore.

I went out to the store and bought these cute little measuring spoons that measure in dashes, pinches and smidges. That's what I use when measuring out my powdered oxides and ultramarines. I mostly color with UM Blue, UM Violet, UM Green, and Chromium Hydroxide Green. Of those, the ones I have go go lightly on are the blue and the chrom h green. They've both bled for me at higher doses. Nowadays, if I want a darker blue or green without the possibility of bleeding, I'll add a little activated charcoal powder to them.

IrishLass

Thank you IrishLass....those are some really great tips. Thanks to everyone else for their great tips too! :)

I feel a lot more confident about using the ultramarines and oxides now....at least I won't turn someone's face or washcloth bright blue, green or red. :lol:

Back