Oxidation of essential oils in finished products

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svetlonocka

Reaction score
Hello. I am curious, if anyone has information about oxidation of essential oils in soap bar (finished product). I would like to use essential oils as fragrance in soapmaking and some of them are skin sensitizers, if oxidised. I look for detailed information about such a topic - oxidation of essential oils in finished personal care products, Any link to research material on this topic will be very welcomed. Thanks.

is it okay if they are kept in black plastic bottles???, one local supplier gave them to me in them. i was wondering if i should transfer them to glass bottles.. they are however kept in my cabinet..

is it okay if they are kept in black plastic bottles???, one local supplier gave them to me in them. i was wondering if i should transfer them to glass bottles.. they are however kept in my cabinet..

Isha, some essential oils will react with plastics, so as a general recommendation the answer would be no. Over time, you will be able to smell the plastic contamination (the plasticizers tend to transfer scents across to the oils first).

Transferring to the smallest bottle you can fit the oil into, and storing in a dark, cool place (as per above link provided by lsg) would be best.

Also, Lotioncrafter sells a product called Ox-Blox. I use it with all my essential oils - The following was taken from their website:
Oxidation is the enemy of fine essential oils, fragrance, and fixed oils. Now you can protect your oils and prevent oxidation of these materials by laying down an inert nitrogen gas blanket over their surface, shielding them from interaction with oxygen.
Produced especially for us, Ox-Blox™ is an inert, safe and environmentally friendly mixture of nitrogen, argon and carbon dioxide. It contains no fluorocarbons, is non-flammable and non-toxic. Protect your investment in your oils, use Ox-Blox™ every time you open your bottles!"

Latest posts

Back