Overwhelmed with info....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallerygirl

Reaction score
My eyes are about to bug out. I have read and read and read.....I was feeling all confident until I read all these posts and realize - I HAVE A GREAT DEAL TO LEARN. Please, someone hold my hand. sniff...sniff. I have been working in clay forever and a day and I can almost remember having to learn all the glazing properties that now comes very natural, but this all seems very overwhelming - probably much how I felt in the beginning of my pottery days. Is there one REALLY good book that someone can recommend? OR do I just keep doing the trial and error thing?

Dont get overwhelmed. Its just soap. You or someone else is eventually going to wash their butts with it :roll: I leaned allot from millersoap.com I am sure there are books, but my library didn't have one and I am cheap. (I could buy a gallon of Olive oil for the price of a book) Just have fun.

Yea, what Ed said! 8) :lol: Ed gave you a great source. Kathy Miller is viewed as the "Queen Mom" of the soap world. That is where I started reading, searching her links, and joining a few "newbie friendly" soap forums like we are. Like Ed said, do a lot of reading, ask us a lot of questions, and after a while, jump in and try a simple 3 or 4 oil recipe. Antone of us CP soapiers will be glad to give you one, or check over one you make up. Kathy Miller has a lot of beginner recipes for you to try when you are ready. Were here and remember one thing:

WE HAVE ALL BEEN WHERE YOU ARE AT RIGHT NOW!

Paul.... :) :wink:

Hey Gallerygirl, welcome.

As Paul says, we have all been where you are now. Don't panic, and don't be scared to ask - remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question!

Thanks everyone! HA Ed, that's what I always told my pottery students, "it's only clay..." So yes, this will not be earth shattering if it doesn't come out right.

I had been making soap a long time but because of kids had gotten away from cp but I'm going back today! woo hoo! Anyway, because I was rusty I grabbed Smart soapmaking by Anne Watson- it was on clearance at barnes and noble- it's got some great easy recipes and awesome instructions for a beginner- too basic for someone who already knows soap- sounds like it would be good for you. She also has a site though I haven't visited- www.annelwatson.com

Check out Kathy Millers website. All you need to know is there!

I have visited the Miller site quite a bit the last couple of months. I did get a basic cp soap recipe. It is a terrific site. Thanks for the book title LSQ.

Kathy's site was my "soap Bible" when I was a newbie! Read, read, study her recipes and follow the links there and read more. You'll soon be ready to add lye into water before to many months!

I think I am gonna write a book about M&P Soaping! I haven't found a whole lot out there! I know it is "easy" to do, but there are so many different things you can do with it!!

Hey there!

Welcome, girl!

Definately don't become overwhelmed! You won't ever learn EVERYTHING. Once you get a basic understanding, then just...do it! It's SO much fun! Almost too much fun.

If I could soap EVERYDAY, I would.

Miller's site is great. Check outanother great site.

This is one of the BEST forums to be in, as a newbie. No "diva-tudes", and no snarliness. So, take advantage of the resources, and...soap away! :D

Dragonfly- that would be great- there are only a couple and they seem the same design wise- a fresh perspective would be awesome- you should think about that or even an Ebook.

Wonderful to read the nice comments here. Thank you all for the approachability.

Roxann said:
Wonderful to read the nice comments here. Thank you all for the approachability.

We really take pride in that fact, Roxann! 8) We don't mind newbies asking questions after they have researched their interests and are ready to begin. This is one reason this forum continues to grow by leaps and bounds! We want all members to speak freely, keeping in mind we are like Casper. We are Casper" like, instead of the friendly ghost, we are; The SMF The "friendly soap forum!" :)

I like Kathy Millers site too- it's chock full of info. This book I stumbled across is really basic- uses alot of easily accessible oils most recipes are natural but if you would like to use animal lard or tallow those are in there too. I made the first recipe in the book which was a shea butter soap and it has set up great! I have made cp in the past and had to quit but I picked it up again- my hubby just says I have to mix my lye in the garage because if the kids. Anyway, the book I suggested is not overwhelming and goes through step by step for making small beginner loaves. Safety is also in there as well as packaging. I ran the recipe through soapcalc first even though it was from a book and amounts matched up- there are even suppliers in the back of the book that everyone uses here! :)
Don't let it overwhelm you- soapmaking isn't hard and once you get used to it you'll be fine. I would say that making up your recipes can be hard until you learn that and that some FO/EO's and colors don't do well in CP soap- it's all a learning process. Most important is complete focus and safety precautions when using your lye- gloves, goggles, etc.. wash everything after your done with gloves and goggles still on..doing this stuff over the years I have never had a caustic burn or exploded anything- whew!! :) Sounds like you'll be great- keep learning and don't let info overwhelm you- if it does back off of whatever your looking at and come here- read through every single post and you'll be fine. There are amazing soapers of all kinds here and they are willing to help. We have to suport each other to get the word of natural soap out there! :)
Danni

As a total and complete newbie (still doing research!) I just wanted to say thank you for this thread and the info in it. And thank you, too, for the attitude of approachability! You can expect many more questions from me soon. :wink:

Welcome one and all. I really like when reading the threads and learning all the new stuff. The people here are great and very approachable. Please feel free to ask questions and share.

Back