Overpour concern?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soap peeps,
Today I was making an essential oil blend for my soap. I poured 18 grams bergamot. Then I tared the scale to zero. I started to pour fir needle and my scale went kerfluey! It may be time for new batteries. I could tell visually that the volume was clearly not matching the displayed weight so I started over with another jar.

So now I have a jar of a blend that I have covered with plastic wrap. To use it again, I can do the math to figure out how much of a blend there is.

Is there anything else I should know? Is this blend safe in a jar with plastic wrap? Thanks.

The EOs are volatile at normal conditions and the vapours may affect the plastic wrap. You might wish to check the plastic in case you decide to use it.

I have had a straight EO spill eat right through a plastic vinyl tablecloth VERY quickly. If the plastic wrap on your EO blend container has not been damaged via the EO as yet, my guess is, it's safe. But transferring it to a glass bottle with a tight-fitting lid would be what I would do. I save & wash empty fragrance bottles to re-use on occasion, but if you don't have any handy, then just keep an eye on the container & decide if it's worth doing the re-calculations or not, as you probably don't want to keep this around indefinitely.

Latest posts

Back