over mixing lotion/separation?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
Can you over mix lotion? I am having a problem with one of my lotion batches separating like an SOB. I used BTMS-50 at 6%. Some separate, some don't. ideas?

Next, I need to figure out the HLB...

I use regular Ewax and not the BTMS-50 and have never had an issue. I would guess that may be it.

Bruce

I have used BTMS-50 without any problems before, doesn't make sense

Kittywings, I PMd you :lol:

kittywings said:
Hmmm, your pm didn't come through. :(

pm'd again, but...

Is it possible that having too little cetyl alcohol creates an unstable emulsion even with 6% BTMS-50? My cetyl alcohol was only at 0.75%. At the higher percentages, the lotion was too thick for what I was looking for. The BTMS-50 already has Cetyl Alcohol in it.

BTMS-50
INCI: Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetyl Alcohol (and) Butylene Glycol

From looking at your formulation, I'd say that I think it's the btms. I'd give the ewax a try. I use even less cetyl alcohol than you do (and have even not used it and it didn't separate). I use btms for hair conditioner, but I think e wax is the way to go for lotions. The rest of your amounts look good.

Weird. Never heard of that happening.

BTW: I LOVE your face cream! I have been using it everyday and am amazed that I haven't broken out, which I am prone to. Thought I would with the shea butter in there. So lovely.

Thanks for your help. :D

Thanks! I am really paranoid about my cream making me break out so if I change an ingredient and I start breaking out... that ingredient gets BANNED!

I've been surprised by a few supposedly noncomedogenic ingredients that have made me break out like crazy.

Do you really need cetyl alcohol or stearic acid if your creams are thick enough? Shouldn't the emulsifier make a stable enough emulsion?

I still use cetyl alcohol or it's too thin with the amount of e-wax I use, but I've cut out the stearic acid... when I go back and look at my older creams I just think "WOW! WAAAAAY too thick!"

Your face cream is the perfect thickness. Very light and so nice!

I have read and also have experienced that cetyl alchol can cause some skin irritation, which is a bit of a bummer. I really like the way it glides, but I have found that on some of my psoriasis, it really burns like a mo fo. The stearic does not do this, but I don't care for the stickiness of the stearic when compared to the glide of the cetyl.

Latest posts

Back