Over heating ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunibee

Reaction score
I made my charcoal soap last night . Only thing I changed is the milk . Used goats instead of coconut. I was all out . I used molases instead of sorbitol.. but instead it went into over drive like HTFHP n turned into a apple pudding consistency. Like the volcano n post volcano .. but thankfully I kept whipping it with my whisk n got it smooth. N molded my soap.. it's fine now. My doubt is - was it false trace or tge cooking by over heating. . this time I changed my F/o too.. what could be the matter. The end product looked like HP soap.

I made my charcoal soap last night . Only thing I changed is the milk . Used goats instead of coconut. I was all out . I used molases instead of sorbitol.. but instead it went into over drive like HTFHP n turned into a apple pudding consistency. Like the volcano n post volcano .. but thankfully I kept whipping it with my whisk n got it smooth. N molded my soap.. it's fine now. My doubt is - was it false trace or tge cooking by over heating. . this time I changed my F/o too.. what could be the matter. The end product looked like HP soap.
You might want to list the FO you used and gloss over your recipe notes, if you have.

Fo and eo used are rose and pure sandalwood oil

Attachments

• IMG_20211119_133339.jpg
    IMG_20211119_133339.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 12
The molasses might have had an impact, too. While sorbitol is in the sugar group (albeit a sugar alcohol) it is not the same as cane sugar or the sugars in honey or molasses and so on.

And then there is the milk - coconut milk has around 3% sugar and goats milk has about 10%.

So in general you might have used much more sugar/different sorts of sugars than you usually do, which might have pushed the temperature up in a way you weren't expecting

The molasses might have had an impact, too. While sorbitol is in the sugar group (albeit a sugar alcohol) it is not the same as cane sugar or the sugars in honey or molasses and so on.

And then there is the milk - coconut milk has around 3% sugar and goats milk has about 10%.

So in general you might have used much more sugar/different sorts of sugars than you usually do, which might have pushed the temperature up in a way you weren't expecting
Thank you@ the efficacious Gentleman.. that is an eye opener .. i did not know that goats milk had 10% .. never looked it up coz I just love both in my soaps. I kinda suspected it. . so now basically I think my soap is all cooked n done I think 🤔

I'm just glad that you managed to keep it in the pot and all went well. Like pilots will say that any landing you can walk away from is a good one, any soap which ends up in the mould is a good one!
.. I was a flight attendant can vibe with your saying totally & it's Absolutely bang on..:)

Actually just cut them now. They are good kinda soft still but rustic looking. They feel v silky. I think due to the silk in the lye. Can't do much for a couple of days. .

Back