oven finishing with cold process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahcycled

Reaction score
So, I got these plastic loaf molds off of someone on eBay. He told me they could be used for oven finishing cold process soaps. The problem is, I don't really know what all that entails or if it makes any difference in the final soap. Does anyone do this? I'm guessing you do a cold process as usual and then put it in the oven? How does it affect the final product? Less curing time?

Less curing time?

No. All CPOP (Cold Process Oven Process) does is insure a full gel. Whether or not you gel your soaps is a personal choice, and soap does not have to gel to become soap. It may shorten the time it takes to cut your soap, because it will become harder faster, but curing does not equal evaporation or drying.

Nothing will shorten actual cure time. It is a process that requires time and patience. :)

I do CPOP. When I'm done with making the soap, I turn the oven to 170 degrees F, then once it's preheated I turn it off and put the soap mold in. After 8 hours or so (usually overnight), I can take it out and cut it.

How long does CPOP take to cure. I heard you can use it right away. Is that true?

How long does CPOP take to cure. I heard you can use it right away. Is that true?

CPOP does not decrease the cure time. It forces gel & that's it.

All CP soap is safe to use if it's fully saponified, but it just feels better and is more mild after cure.

Being able to use your soap, and having a cured bar are completely different. As long as the soap does not zap and is not lye heavy it is safe to use, it's just not a very pleasant experience and is very harsh and drying to your skin.
When you are using for yourself or giving to friends to test, wouldn't you want them to have the best possible soap they can? If so, then fully cure your soaps for 4-6 weeks.

Latest posts

Back