Outside Craft Event

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
I am considering having a table at an outside craft event at the end of June. If I do this it would be my first craft event.

I feel a little anxious about having my soap at an outdoors event and am wondering if it would be a bad thing for my soap. Those of you who have done this may be able to give me some advice. Mostly I am concerned about the sun and/or heat.

What type of soap are you selling, CP or MP? If CP, you really shouldn't have a problem as long as you can keep them out of direct sun so I would suggest a vendor canopy which you can get at Walmart or Target. I have done several outdoor shows with my CP soaps with no problem. I have never had MP so I cannot comment on how they do in the heat but I would be cautious with them in heat.

I don't have any problems with the heat, but I have a canopy to keep out of the sun. When I have MP soaps, they're shrink wrapped, so they don't sweat, but the color fades FAST in the sun, and they get a bit soft. My HP and CP stand up well.

I only have cold process soap. Will look into the canopy idea.

The sun will fade colors in cp over time, but not with doing just one show. MP will melt to a liquid puddle in hot weather or direct sun. If you are going to be doing other shows you will want to get a canopy and weights, if you are not really planning on doing more craft fairs/farmer markets you might check with a party supply and rent a 10x10 canopy. In my opinion it is a waste of money to buy a cheap canopy, unless you have another use for it, but I do 2-4 events per week. Even a mid priced EZup canopy such as sold by Sams Club have very poor tops that will leak in less than 2 yrs. Direct sun if it is hot can even soften cp soaps, but they will not melt to a puddle like mp.

I second having a canopy. I quite a few outdoor events as well as 2 weekly farmer's markets. I don't think any soap is happy in the hot sun. Colors can fade and soaps can get soft if in direct sun. Besides, I don't want to sit out in it. It's nice to have cover. I purchased one from Walmart almost 4 years ago and it's still going good but does have some leaks now. I am getting the canopy from Sam's Club this weekend as I like that it has the walls and a small overhang canopy. I have a few friends that have purchased it with rave reviews. I do 3-4 shows a week. If you don't have some kind of cover try to be under a shady tree.

Last edited:
Before you buy, be aware that most venues require that your tent/canopy be white. They like uniformity. If you plan on doing more shows, that might become an issue if you buy something other than white. Have fun and good luck!

I second having a canopy. I quite a few outdoor events as well as 2 weekly farmer's markets. I don't think any soap is happy in the hot sun. Colors can fade and soaps can get soft if in direct sun. Besides, I don't want to sit out in it. It's nice to have cover. I purchased one from Walmart almost 4 years ago and it's still going good but does have some leaks now. I am getting the canopy from Sam's Club this weekend as I like that it has the walls and a small overhang canopy. I have a few friends that have purchased it with rave reviews. I do 3-4 shows a week. If you don't have some kind of cover try to be under a shady tree.
Be aware that is a heavy canopy with a low quality top, that is hard for one person to put up. I was low on money and ended up buying one when my very expensive ezup was broken up with a mico burst of wind picked it up. Fortunetly no one and none but my tent was broken and was the only tent it hit :-( I am slowly rebuying the parts to fix it. I used it for 5 yrs with no leaks, Sams I have had less than 2 yrs and even heavy mist soaks through it. Also it is to heavy for me and it is very hard for one person to put it up, if you are alone. Also the overhang canopy really does nothing to block the sun and is just something else to fool with. Don't mean to be a downer, but I hate their (Sams) canopies
Navigator is correct some venues require white for crafter canopies. Usually the food vendors can have other colors.

Latest posts

Back