Other natural options to achieve I nice green hue?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Farm2Shower

Reaction score
I prefer my soap not having a ocean like smell, which kelp powder and some other thing I used did. Also, I'm not using micas. Looking for some different options that are available to get a nice green color. Thanks

Obsidian

Reaction score
Ground parsley works pretty well, so does spirulina. Both can fade a bit, especially if left in natural light. I've used both and prefer spirulina, its a bit greener and its not scratchy like parsley.

jules92207

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just used cilantro last weekend, I think it looks pretty green.

AustinStraight

Reaction score
I used dill and it did add a green tinge to the soap, especially in the center of the soap where it gelled, but the bits of dill turned a yellowish-brown color... if I did it again, I would infuse the dill in oil.

Belinda02

Reaction score
I infused rosemary in oo giving a dot green. Couple of months later and color is holding.

neeners

Reaction score
chlorella. no fishy smell that I've noticed. French green clay is also very good, but a different kind of green. another thing I did was use green juice as my liquids, and my soap came out a really nice, natural green.

Farm2Shower

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for all the advice. My bad, I'm new to the forums,and didn't think of doing a search. Will attempt in the future.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
This green is French green clay with hemp oil:

And not sure if you count oxides as "natural", but the bright green on this one is a green oxide from Brambleberry:

I tried infused nettle and comfrey leaves in an HP soap and I didnt get a lot of green - maybe try more next time. And it has faded from this to more oatmeal colored.

kikajess

Reaction score
Hemp oil is a VERY green oil. I used just 7% in a soap with no added colorants and no added scents, and it has a light green hue.

Farm2Shower

Reaction score
Kikajess, it's funny you mention hemp oil. That is close to the same ratio I use. I'm around 8%. I'm not seeing much green, and I'm using organic, not refined etc. not sure if that matters. a bit off topic, but have you experimented with a higher % of hemp seed? If so, what's the highest you have gone, without noticing signs of premature rancid soap? Was trying to say rancisity, but I don't think that's a word...haha

kikajess

Reaction score
7% is the only amount I've used. The 1-lb batch of hemp oil soap I made in January still looks good, no DOS so far. I used organic Nutiva brand oil. Here is a picture of my hemp oil soap next to a plain uncolored bar made of all the same oils, minus the hemp.

hemp-white1.jpg

I think why my hemp oil soap might be so green is because I HPed it, superfatting it with just the hemp oil, mixing it in after the cook (which is why there are some light colored specks of soap in there). I love the soap, and I love its green-ness. I am saving a bar to watch for rancidity (is that the word? hehe) Thinking maybe I should add some vitamin E next time I make it.