Other hobbies.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do tablescapes and I'm working on one that is full of desserts. All the food here is faux. Next, I'm working on ice cream cones.

Attachments

• CUPCAKES FAUX_4A.jpg
    CUPCAKES FAUX_4A.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 40
  • COOKIES & MACAROONS FAUX.jpg
    COOKIES & MACAROONS FAUX.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 42
And now that my jasmine is blooming, these busy little ladies are visiting in droves:View attachment 56284

I know this isn't a "true jasmine" but it still smells nice.
Must smell wonderfull. Is it a Stephanotis?
Nice shot, too!

Happy bubbles,
Stéphanie

I do tablescapes and I'm working on one that is full of desserts. All the food here is faux. Next, I'm working on ice cream cones.
What is it exactly? You design how food and tableware will be set up for a particular occasion?

Happy bubbles,
Stéphanie

Yes, you set the table as if for a magazine photo. There are themes for holidays or just something simple. We just did St. Patrick's Day and Easter. There's Spring, Graduation, etc. I'm working on the theme of a Girl's Night In party with desserts. If the food was real, it would never be ready at the same time and my family would eat it before I could photo it. I also have a theme of movie party with popcorn, movie tickets, Academy Awards, and movie cameras. It's fun. and we rarely eat off a tablescape unless it's Thanksgiving or Christmas. Here's one from my College Girl Reunion where we did eat. The plates are clear glass and the placemats are LP's (google it).

Attachments

• COLLEGE GIRL WEEKEND-40A_TABLE DECORATION 2019.jpg
    COLLEGE GIRL WEEKEND-40A_TABLE DECORATION 2019.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 27
  • COLLEGE GIRL WEEKEND-42B_TABLE DECORATION 2019.jpg
    COLLEGE GIRL WEEKEND-42B_TABLE DECORATION 2019.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 28
Must smell wonderfull. Is it a Stephanotis?
Nice shot, too!

Happy bubbles,
Stéphanie
Thank you!

The genus isn't Stephanotis, it's Trachelospermum, sp. Jasminoides (also called "Star Jasmine").

True Jasmine (genus: Jasminum) is in the Olive family, and this one and the Stephanotis aren't.

This particular species is called Jasminoides, which is Latin for "like Jasmine". There are actually quite a few plants that are similar enough that they are called Jasmine but only the genus Jasminum are proper Jasmines.

I really want a true Jasmine, specifically Sambac, and more specifically the Grand Duke of Tuscany variety. Those are sooooo pretty.

And speaking of olives, my olive tree should be dropping its flowers right about now and just starting this year's crop of olives, but it did not bloom this year. No flowers at all, not a single one. I have no idea why. 🙁

Hi
I love making paper flowers. I will share some pics with you hope you like it
The are beautiful! I just stumbled on directions for roses and bookmarked the directions hoping I will eventually have some time to give it a try. I originally saw a brief demo on a local tv channel "home & backyard" show which features local artisans.

I garden, read, travel and cook. I broke a necklace so I'm about to start making jewelry too. I tried crochet but can't teach myself. I'm going to need lessons...View attachment 59252View attachment 59245
I love your flowers. I am not much of a gardner but the pandemic had me trying all kinds of things for the first time. I started a wild flower garden and enjoy in it so much. I put a battery operated fountain and a bird house in it and am am so enjoying my meager attempt. I gave up on crochet as I can't keep the gauge even. Do much better with knitting. Also when trapped in my home during the pandemic I began indoor hydroponic gardening and really like it.

I garden, read, travel and cook.

Your garden is spectacularly beautiful!
I wish I had a green thumb, but I just don't get plants very well...I have a pretty unruly weed garden in a garden bed that was supposed to be a vegetable garden until we were told by the city that vegetable gardens aren't allowed in front yards (no one has said anything about the weeds yet though!) 😂

I have a pretty unruly weed garden in a garden bed that was supposed to be a vegetable garden until we were told by the city that vegetable gardens aren't allowed in front yards (no one has said anything about the weeds yet though!) 😂

You could plant cabbages and say they are ornamental cabbages. Pepper plants can be quite ornamental, especially when they start fruiting. Nasturtiums are a flower, but the entire plant is edible. And many herbs are ornamental and also flower. You could mix a few flowers in with some herbs and low growing veggies and have a very pretty garden. Even dandelions are edible, but if close neighbors spray their yards, I might be more cautious about eating what is out in the open and unprotected. Carrot tops are pleasing to look at when mixed with other plants; in fact one of the weeds I am constanting pulling up around here look exactly like a carrot (the top, not the root). Chard is another plant that is nice to look at and lovely to eat. There are many types of kale that are aesthetically pleasing as well. Perhaps it may be a rule that vegetable gardens are not allowed, but if you mix in some herbs and flowers that you might use in soapmaking as well, then perhaps you could get the best of both worlds.

Thanks, all! In my garden, I use zinnias as bare spot fillers. They're as easy to grow as weeds- most of my plants are pretty care free. Earlene is right, sprinkle a few cosmos or zinnias among some veggies and nobody will know. It'd be hard to camouflage corn though 🤣

Last edited:
Your garden is spectacularly beautiful!
I wish I had a green thumb, but I just don't get plants very well...I have a pretty unruly weed garden in a garden bed that was supposed to be a vegetable garden until we were told by the city that vegetable gardens aren't allowed in front yards (no one has said anything about the weeds yet though!) 😂
@earlene beat me to it but I was going to tell you to call all your veggies "ornamental." :) Erg, I hate these kinds of garden rules. Our former home was Chicago. It was infamous for on one hand encouraging homeowners to grow pollinator-friendly yards, and on the other hand ticketing residents for growing milkweed because it's a tall "weed." We have, um, "ornamental" tomatoes and peppers in our front yard. There's a City grant to convert your parkway (I still use Chicago-ese "parkway," Minneapolisonians scold me because it's a "boulevard." Its the strip of land between the street and sidewalk that you PARK by.) to a vegetable garden.

I hate that carrot looking weed! It's everywhere!

Hey, @Ugeauxgirl, that is a great garden! I love the various textures and the color combo. Interestingly enough, those are comments I give frequently about soaps!

I love gardening. We bought a house with overgrown shrubs and weeds (see first photo). The yard was hiding this cute little house with great stonework. The photos are from last year; this year I planted even shorter plants next to the house to expose the stonework even more. The main plants are the dark green strawberry patches in the middle surrounded by chartreuse creeping jenny (moneywort). We get a lot of positive feedback about it, but to be truthful, my motivation was pure laziness. I didn't want to mow grass. I also don't rake leaves in the fall.

This year's project is the backyard. So. Very. Skirred.
Capture.PNG20200926_180604.jpg20200926_180521.jpgIMG-5254.JPG20200926_180417.jpg

Attachments

• 20200926_180448.jpg
    20200926_180448.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 18
Hey, @Ugeauxgirl, that is a great garden! I love the various textures and the color combo. Interestingly enough, those are comments I give frequently about soaps!

I love gardening. We bought a house with overgrown shrubs and weeds (see first photo). The yard was hiding this cute little house with great stonework. The photos are from last year; this year I planted even shorter plants next to the house to expose the stonework even more. The main plants are the dark green strawberry patches in the middle surrounded by chartreuse creeping jenny (moneywort). We get a lot of positive feedback about it, but to be truthful, my motivation was pure laziness. I didn't want to mow grass. I also don't rake leaves in the fall.

View attachment 59350View attachment 59346View attachment 59348View attachment 59349View attachment 59345
I'm not Ugeauxgirl, but your landscaping is gorgeous!

I garden, read, travel and cook. I broke a necklace so I'm about to start making jewelry too. I tried crochet but can't teach myself. I'm going to need lessons...View attachment 59252View attachment 59245
Your garden is beautiful.

crochet is pretty simple once you learn how to get the first chain down, and maybe doing the second row. You can single crochet (sc) the entire project for learning…and it will still make something beautiful. Start out small with single crochet and then move on to more complicated stitches. After a while you can literally sit there and stitch while watching tv.

Following a pattern is daunting until you learn how to make the stitch.

crochet is pretty simple once you learn how to get the first chain down, and maybe doing the second row. You can single crochet (sc) the entire project for learning…and it will still make something beautiful. Start out small with single crochet and then move on to more complicated stitches. After a while you can literally sit there and stitch while watching tv.

I never follow patterns. I find it easier to make stuff up as I go. I've made a few dolls and toys, both crochet and knitted, and I just don't have the patience for patterns. I should probably learn to follow them... eventually... some day...

View attachment 59350View attachment 59346View attachment 59348View attachment 59349View attachment 59345
I LOVE your landscaping- it really does compliment your house. You uncovered a gem when you tore out the bushes. I like your house too- cottage style is my favorite! I particularly like the cascading vines- sweet potato?

All I can do is a chain stitch. Anything I try to add onto that looks like a wad of knots 😂. Going to have to find someone to teach me right after I fix and redesign all of my jewelry...

All I can do is a chain stitch. Anything I try to add onto that looks like a wad of knots 😂. Going to have to find someone to teach me right after I fix and redesign all of my jewelry...
I learned nålbinding by watching YouTube videos. There are probably lots of great crochet videos, too. If that doesn't work for you, there will be people at your local yarn shops who offer private lessons.

Back